No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Public contradictions between Ministers Aoun and Hwej on Libyan-Turkish MoU signing

bySami Zaptia
October 4, 2022
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Public contradictions between Ministers Aoun and Hwej on Libyan-Turkish MoU signing

Oil and Gas Minister Mohamed Aoun and Economy and Trade Minister Mohamed Hwej publicly contradicted each other over the signing of the Libyan-Turkish MoU yesterday (Photo: WTV).

Oil and Gas Minister Mohamed Aoun and Economy and Trade Minister Mohamed Hwej contradicted each other publicly yesterday over the appointment of Hwej as temporary acting Oil and Gas Minister during the Turkish delegation’s Tripoli visit yesterday.

In recorded media clips, Aoun said he was ‘‘surprised’’ by the appointment of Hwej as his replacement during his official trip to South Africa. He claimed this was ”unprecedented” and usually happens only during holidays. However, he said he was informed of the appointment.

Aoun has reservations on some parts of the MoU
Aoun did stress he did not object to the signing of the MoU with Turkey, even though he had some ”reservations” on the MoU. He said the appointment of Hwej may be because of his objections to some sections of the MoU.

Conspiracy theories?
Aoun’s revelation that he had some reservations on the oil and gas section of the multi-sector MoU set the questioning and conspiratorial traditional and social medias into a spiral. Was Aoun sent away and was the MoU signed specifically when Aoun was away? Was Turkey taking advantage of a weak Abd Alhamid Aldabaiba government and a weak Libya?

On the other hand, in his released video clip, Hwej, said it was normal protocol for a Minister and not a Deputy Minister to meet a visiting Minister. He said Aoun had been informed of the purely procedural move and had been aware of and approved the MoU.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

MoU v Binding agreement
Hwej stressed that what was signed with Turkey yesterday was purely a non-binding MoU which either party could annul within months. He stressed nothing was given away to Turkey in the MoU.

The Aoun v Hwej story completely distracted from the signing of the Libyan-Turkish MoU, which raises the question of whether it was a premeditated distraction, and by whom and for what reason. The reaction also highlights the sensitivities to Turkish intervention in Libya.

Tags: economy minister Mohamed Hwej GNUMOUOil Minister Mohamed Aoun GNUTurkey Turkish

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Libya and Turkey sign multi sector MoU, prepare for launch of strategic projects

Libya and Turkey sign multi sector MoU, prepare for launch of strategic projects

Central Bank of Libya’s El-Kaber and Hibri meet – launch bank’s unification process

The CBL Tripoli v CBL Benghazi battle continues: CBL Benghazi adjusts exchange rate to LD 4.25/dollar, CBL Tripoli refuses the devaluation and keeps rate at LD 5.2/dollar

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.