No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

GECOL says all eastern power stations ready to operate

operations subject to receiving correct quantities and pressure of gas by Friday night or Saturday morning

bySami Zaptia
July 21, 2022
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
GECOL says all eastern power stations ready to operate

The General Electricity Company of Libya (GECOL) announced today that all its power stations in eastern Libya (Sarir, Zueitina and Benghazi North) are ready to operate.

This it added, is subject to it receiving the correct volumes and pumping pressures of gas from the National Oil Corporation (NOC).

Subject to this condition being met, it anticipated that electricity would be generated by Friday night or Saturday morning.

Lengthy power cuts, violent demonstrations and recent GECOL turmoil
It will be recalled that the GECOL board of directors, led by chairman Wiam Al-Abdali, had been suspended and referred to administrative investigation by the Aldabaiba government on 26 June.

Aldabaiba appointed the head of the Tripoli Public Services Company, Mohamed Ismail, as the new temporary General Manager, and appointed himself as the new chairman of the GECOL board of directors.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

This comes on the back of Libya’s electricity generation crisis that has led to violent nationwide protests, road blockades and the burning of official buildings.

Power cuts are still widespread across the country, mostly for five-hour intervals. Diesel prices have gone up in parallel to the increased power cuts.

Prime Minister Abd Alhamid Aldabaiba admitted that he had underestimated the extent of Libya’s electricity crisis.

It was revealed that electricity consumption in Libya had reached a new all-time peak of 9,000 MW in 2022. This was a staggering 1,200 MW increase on 2021.

It was then announced that the suspended GECOL board of directors was reinstated until the GECOL General Assembly meets to appoint its replacement on 17 July. The committee set up by Aldabaiba to investigate the suspended GECOL board also said they needed to have access to the board in order to gather facts for their investigations.

Some good news on electricity?
However, GECOL had since announced several units at the new fast tracked Misrata (350 MW) and Tripoli West (185 MW) power station had started experimental operation. All things being equal with the tests, both are expected to go into full operation ‘‘within the coming days’’. The other units are expected to go online soon.

 

Electricity crisis: GM Ismail takes over; old board continues as two new units start operation (libyaherald.com)

Lengthy power cuts lead to GECOL head Abdali being suspended (libyaherald.com)

Power cuts touch a nerve and lead to call for politically neutral public demonstrations (libyaherald.com)

Misrata fast track power station expected to enter service end of June (libyaherald.com)

Damage from Janzour militia clashes will result in power cuts and delay in Tripoli West power station coming online this summer: GECOL (libyaherald.com)

Tripoli West Fast Track power station about to enter production: GECOL (libyaherald.com)

As extreme temperatures cause longer power cuts, Aldabaiba and GECOL head come under pressure (libyaherald.com)

 

 

Tags: Abd Alhamid aldabaiba pm GNU Government of National UnityGECOL chairman Wiam Al AbdaliGECOL General Electricity Company of Libya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Militia clashes in central Tripoli led to civilian deaths, injuries, and property damage

Interior Minister Mazen sacked after Tripoli militia clashes – tense ceasefire achieved

Interior Minister Mazen sacked after Tripoli militia clashes – tense ceasefire achieved

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.