No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Damage from Janzour militia clashes will result in power cuts and delay in Tripoli West power station coming online this summer: GECOL

bySami Zaptia
May 18, 2022
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
GECOL warns of more power cuts as some contractors quit over security

Damage caused by last Saturday’s militia clashes in Janzour (west Tripoli) will result in power cuts and a delay in the completion of the Tripoli West Fast Track power station this summer, the Chairman of the General Electricity Company of Libya (GECOL) Wiam Abdali said today.

Speaking in a pre-recorded video message posted on GECOL’s Facebook page, Abdali did not specify how long the delay would be, but said the damage was considerable, and included overhead power transmission lines, lifting equipment and the outside of the power station generators. He said that contractors ENKA and Siemens were still completing their damage report.

Abdali said work had stopped at the power station which had been fast tracked to be completed by the end of this month – and before the start of this year’s peak demand summer season in order to avoid the lengthy annual power cuts. At least 70 foreign technicians had stopped work and asked to be repatriated, he revealed.

It will be recalled that the Tripoli West Fast Track power station was meant to play a huge part in preventing the annual reoccurrence of lengthy power cuts. Incumbent Caretaker Prime Minister, Abd Alhamid Aldabaiba, had staked his reputation on the ‘‘Fast Track’’ projects. He had asked the Audit Bureau and Central Bank of Libya to ‘‘fast track’’ them and set aside the usual lengthy and financing procedures to save the country from another year of lengthy power cuts.

 

RELATED POSTS

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

Solar PV training for 14 REAoL and GECOL technicians held in Tunisia

Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station – LibyaHerald

Tags: Fast trackGECOL chairman Wiam Al AbdaliGECOL General Electricity Company of LibyaJanzour JanzurmilitiaTripoli West Power Station

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Made in Algeria expo to be held in Tripoli 28 to 31 May at Tripoli Sports City

Made in Algeria expo to be held in Tripoli 28 to 31 May at Tripoli Sports City

Coronavirus deaths rise to three in Libya

Trial run of the Unified Electronic Health File System inaugurated

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Airports Authority and Civil Aviation Authority review visual presentation by Spanish company Indra on Modern Aviation Technologies

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.