The new terminal at Benghazi’s Benina airport will open in three weeks’ time (31 March 2022), the eastern branch of Libya’s Privatization and Investment Board (PIB) revealed on Thursday.
The PIB acclaimed the project as a great example of the success of the PPP investment model in Libya. The project is financed by the private sector and eastern headquartered Bank of Commerce and Development (BCD) and reportedly completed within the scheduled 10 months..
The BCD also owns Berniq Air, the name sponsor of the new terminal which was implemented by the Xport Group.
The Dubai-based Xport Group describes itself as is a Group of companies specialised in Marketing, Trading and Agency Representation based in Dubai.
The PIB reported that the new ‘‘smart’’ terminal:
- Has a capacity of 2.5 million passengers per year
- Smart systems for completing passenger entry stages, travel procedures and guidance for travel lounges.
- Three VIP lounges: one for external, one for internal flights and one for private flights
- Equipped with modern facilities, offices, cafes, business services and a duty free market
- For the first time in Libya: systems for detecting Covid-19 cases according to the Covid-19 protocol are spread throughout the passenger terminal
- Automated sterilization and cleaning equipment throughout the airport
- High technology guidance handling and management systems
- VIP limousine services and systems to provide comfort for travellers through the terminal for all classes.