No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Hatif Libya and Infinera telecoms agreement: more technical details revealed, but no contract value

bySami Zaptia
July 28, 2021
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

(Logo: LPTIC).

London, 28 July 2021:

The signing on Tuesday of an agreement by the state Hatif Libya (the Libya Phone Company) and America’s Infinera is a ground-breaking agreement that will boost Libya’s expanding telecommunications sector, Hatif Libya’s holding company, the Libyan Post Telecommunications, and Information Company (LPTIC) said Tuesday.

It said the California-based firm’s entrance marks a milestone in US investment in the Libyan market.

The project will expand and develop Libya’s optical transport network and will provide access to internet and mobile services in areas not reached previously by the network and improve the quality and reliability of services for all customers.

RELATED POSTS

Hatif Libya phone company signs MoUs at its “Hatif Libya – 15 Years of Communication” forum

Hatif Libya begins phased decommissioning of traditional telephone exchanges in preparation of completion of FTTx fiber optic services projects

Increased security and dynamics of network

Revealing more technical details, the LPTIC said the need for secure digital transport capacities has increased with the rapid development of the telecommunications sector in Libya and the growing demand for mobile phone services, internet, and digital transformation.

It explained that the project leverages universal switching and transport capabilities, enabling the national network to dynamically switch traffic over diverse paths to ensure the continuation of services in the case of interruptions caused by physical damage to cables or power outages. To do this, it explained, Infinera will deploy Automatically Switched Optical Network (ASON) technology.

The LPTIC said this partnership accelerates opportunities for joint economic cooperation between Libya and the U.S. in the field of communications and information technology. This first step presents a new frontier for investment and collaboration, expanding beyond the traditional energy and security sectors.

Linkage between Africa and Europe

The project also provides Libya the ability to benefit from its strategic location in linking Europe and Africa

Increased and expandable capacities

Once completed, the LPTIC said the network will deliver capacities and cyber protection for 60 sites throughout the Libyan territory using advanced optical equipment and technologies to reach operational capacity of 600 GB on the coastal strip and 200 GB in the southern region, which can be expanded and developed to reach 9 terabytes.

Speaking at the signing ceremony, Prime Minister Abd Alhamid Aldabaiba said “We express our happiness at the signing of the agreement between Hatif Libya and the U.S.-based Infinera. We consider this an important step in strengthening Libyan-American economic relations that will encourage the return of American companies to complete stalled projects.

Furthermore, such agreements increase our confidence that we are on the right path towards integrating state institutions through digital transformation to provide digital services for all Libyans. Digital transformation will create equal opportunities for all Libyan citizens so that they can participate in the development process and improve their standard of living.”

LPTIC chairman Faisel Gergab said: “The partnership with Infinera boosts LPTIC’s commitment to providing improved connectivity services and is an important milestone in our strategic goal of digital transformation. This contract will strengthen the telecommunications sector in all regions of the country and will help revive our economy. We see this early cooperation as a signal of what’s ahead for the telecommunications sector, and we fully intend to pursue more partnerships with the U.S.”

Hatif Libya chairman Mohamed Belras said: “My colleagues and I at Hatif Libya, which is the backbone of the telecommunications sector, are pleased that our national network is equipped with the latest technologies and provides alternative paths for traffic. The network is secured from external intrusions and with capacities that will meet the increasing demand for services. We are pleased with our partnership with Infinera and aspire to provide best services to all our valued customers.”

David Heard, CEO of Infinera, said: “We are pleased to announce this strategic partnership with Hatif Libya, which represents a key foundation of the Libyan telecom sector. Working together, we can build a telecommunications infrastructure that will meet current and future needs. We are looking forward to establishing a successful long-term relationship based on our technology innovations, industry expertise, and committed partnership. We are thrilled to be entering Libya and to be working closely with our Libyan partners to deliver a best-in-class solution.”

No value, starting or completion date of the contract was mentioned by any of the stakeholders.

 

Libya’s state Hatif Libya signs contract with U.S. Infinera to upgrade fibre optic network | (libyaherald.com)

Tags: Faisel Gergab LPTIC ChairmanfeaturedHatif LibyaInfinera U.S. telecoms companyLibyan Post Telecommunications and Information Technology Company (LPTIC)

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
Tripoli based Military Industries Organisation opens “Libyan Inventor” office
Business

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

February 15, 2026
HoR condemns Serraj’s foreign intervention call
Business

Economic diversification conference held in Benghazi by HoR and CBL

February 15, 2026
71 commercial vessels were received by the Julyana Free Zone Port in August
Business

Julyana Free Port reports surge in commercial traffic in 2025 with 816 ships calling at the port

February 15, 2026
Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria
Business

Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

February 14, 2026
Germany’s GIZ launches Libya IT sector survey to assess employment potential, identify training gaps
Business

High-level Libyan delegation visits Egypt to advance private sector engagement in Solid Waste Management

February 14, 2026
Next Post
Webinar on ‘‘Libya’s Energy Sector’’ discusses oil, gas and renewables

Webinar on ‘‘Libya’s Energy Sector’’ discusses oil, gas and renewables

LPDF Proposals Bridging Committee meets virtually in effort to agree on constitutional basis for elections

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.