No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya announces first discovery of the South African Coronavirus variant

bySami Zaptia
March 18, 2021
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

(NCDC).

London, 18 March 2021:

Libya’s National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announced yesterday that it has made the first discovery of cases of the South African Coronavirus variant.

It stated that ‘‘the discovery of the presence of these mutated species in Libya may explain the rapid spread of this pandemic and the serious exacerbation of the epidemiological situation and may be the reason for the high numbers of cases accompanied by serious complications that have led to an increase in the high death rate in recent weeks’’.

Speaking to Libyan media yesterday, NCDC head, Badr Al-Din Al-Najar, said the mutated South African strain may cause serious complications for those infected with the virus.

RELATED POSTS

Five health workers imprisoned for issuing fake Covid-19-free certificates

Derna disaster update: Five Greek aid workers die in road accident, Spanish and Maltese teams return home

He said the epidemiological situation in Libya is worsening, and citizens must adhere more to preventive measures.

Al-Najar warned that the NCDC may demand a total shutdown due to the recent developments in the epidemiological situation as isolation centres are witnessing an acute shortage of oxygen, with its increasing demand for dangerous cases.

On 1 March, the NCDC – and partnering entities – launched an online anti-Coronavirus vaccination registration website in anticipation of the arrival of the country’s first vaccine batches.

Twelve million vaccines are expected to start arriving at the end of this month.

The vaccination will eventually be available to all those over 18, with the first phase reserved for health workers, the elderly and those with chronic diseases. The NCDC was keen to allay the fears of expats by stressing that all foreign residents would receive the vaccine.

Yesterday, the NCDC reported that Coronavirus cases in Libya had reached a total of 148,175 cases. Of these, 134,923 had recovered while 10,830. There have been 2,422 deaths since the outbreak.

The new Government of National Unity (GNU)

At a meeting on 11 March with Dr. Khalifa Al-Bakoush, Chairman of the Scientific Advisory Committee to Combat the Coronavirus Pandemic, and Al-Najar, the Prime Minister of the newly sworn-in GNU expressed his dissatisfaction with the reports he had seen regarding the budgets that were purportedly spent on dealing with the Corona pandemic without actual results on the ground.

He made it clear that managing the crisis in this way will not be acceptable going forward.

 

Prime Minister Aldabaiba dissatisfied with anti-Coronavirus effort so far | (libyaherald.com)

Serraj allows purchase of anti-Coronavirus vaccines from Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Johnson and Johnson and Moderna | (libyaherald.com)

Libya launches online anti-Coronavirus vaccination registration site | (libyaherald.com)

Coronavirus: 12 million vaccines to start arriving in March | (libyaherald.com)

New ‘‘English’’ Covid-19 variant discovered in Libya, Doctors’ Union call for investigation into delayed arrival of vaccines, Serraj allocates LD 600 million to combatting pandemic | (libyaherald.com)

Menfi vows to supply Coronavirus vaccine | (libyaherald.com)

First shipments of anti-Coronavirus vaccine to arrive within two weeks, distribution mechanism set for front liners | (libyaherald.com)

Tripoli Health Ministry meets vaccine manufacturers to place orders | (libyaherald.com)

Libya secures 55,000 Pfizer and 920,000 AstraZeneca vaccine doses, attempting to secure other brands | (libyaherald.com)

Libya orders 2.8 million doses of vaccines for 1.4 million through WHO’s Covax: NCDC head | (libyaherald.com)

Libya contracts to buy 2.8 million doses of anti-Coronavirus vaccines | (libyaherald.com)

Libya to purchase US$ 9.6 million worth of Coronavirus vaccine | (libyaherald.com)

 

 

Tags: Badr Al-Din Al-Najar head of the National Centre for Disease Controlcorona virus coronavirus Covid 19Coronavirus Covid-19 pandemicfeaturedNational Centre for Disease Control NCDC

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Libyan Dinar gains to under 5 dinar per dollar barrier – further sign of improvements

Tunisian President Kais Saied makes historic official visit to Libya

Tunisian President Kais Saied makes historic official visit to Libya

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.