No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

HIB prepares report on 17,000 housing units for PPP investment

bySami Zaptia
February 20, 2021
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Libya’s Housing and Infrastructure Board is considering releasing 17,000 stalled housing projects for PPP (Photo from archives: Sami Zaptia).

London, 20 February 2021:

The Housing and Infrastructure Board (HIB), one of the Libyan state’s housing implementation arms, has prepared a report on freeing up 17,000 stalled housing projects for possible Public Private Partnership (PPP) investment.

The incomplete projects are stalled due to the inability of their foreign implementers to continue due to the lack of security in Libya and due to the Libyan state’s inability to finance them.

The HIB said the housing projects are spread across seven areas including Janzur, Sidi Sayeh, Garabuli and Misrata.

RELATED POSTS

REAoL workshop on PPP in the renewables sector -to be held soon

HIB agrees with Germany’s UWA to start geotechnical testing for Gharian wastewater treatment plant

The report is seen as the initiation of serious thinking in changing the course of public housing into investment housing (PPP) according to the methods applied in various countries of the world, the HIB said.

It will be recalled that Libya has about 300,000 housing units spread across the country that have been stalled since the country’s 2011 revolution that overthrew the Qaddafi regime. The biggest of these is the 20,000-housing unit project in Ganfuda, Benghazi contracted to Chinese company CSCEC.

Since 2011, there has been numerous attempts by Libya to restart its stalled projects, but the lack of security and payment has prevented this.

Alternatively, Libya has attempted to allow local companies and banks to take over the stalled projects and complete them. However, debts to foreign contractors for part completion has raised questions about the legality of Libyan contractors taking over projects previously contracted to foreign contractors.

In 2013 CSCEC signed an agreement with Libya to resume its ‘‘20,000 housing project’’ after a hault of more than two years. However, due to lack of security and payment, the restart never materialized.

See: Breakthrough housing deal agreed by Government and Chinese company | (libyaherald.com)

‘‘The deal, in which the thorny issue of compensation is addressed by granting additional contracts, is seen as opening the door to completing numerous other housing and infrastructure projects with Chinese and foreign companies.’’

 

Chinese business looks to return to Benghazi | (libyaherald.com)

Massive LD 50-billion development of Tobruk unveiled; railway to Sudan to be built | (libyaherald.com)

Breakthrough housing deal agreed by Government and Chinese company | (libyaherald.com)

Tadawul Real Estate Fund signs agreement with the state Inma Real Estate Fund | (libyaherald.com)

Several solutions discussed to activate Libya’s real estate sector at final day of Tunis conference | (libyaherald.com)

The Second Libyan Real Estate Development Forum – 5 to 6 February in Tunis | (libyaherald.com)

LD 250 m private sector real estate investment fund launched | (libyaherald.com)

Benghazi investment and reconstruction conference calls for less state dependency | (libyaherald.com)

Payment, rather than security is seen as barrier to return of foreign companies to Libya | (libyaherald.com)

Continuing his flurry of reactionary decrees: Serraj creates new Ministry of Housing and Reconstruction | (libyaherald.com)

Libya to activate stalled housing projects through local companies | (libyaherald.com)

 

 

 

Tags: featuredHIB Housing and Infrastructure BoardPPP Public Private Partnershipstalled housing projects

Related Posts

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments
Business

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

November 29, 2025
Ministry of Housing in discussions with Ernst & Young in London
Business

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

November 29, 2025
Minister of Industry meets the Committee for Localisation of Oil Materials and Equipment Industry
Business

Industry and Minerals Ministry signs MoU with Hungary’s Rotary International Co. for joint infrastructure investment projects

November 29, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

NOC reviews Poland’s Puna oil company’s 2025-26 exploration plans in the Murzuq Basin

November 29, 2025
LAIP delegation visits Maputo, Mozambique to recover seized rice project
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio holds coordination meeting with Nigerian embassy on Transit Corridors Project

November 28, 2025
Libyan Export Promotion Centre changes to become Libyan Export Development Authority – new logo adopted
Business

Libyan Export Development Authority to launch subsidised direct shipping service to Sub-Saharan African ports

November 28, 2025
Next Post
Maetig meets Saleh in framework of  unifying budget and state institutions

Maetig meets Saleh in framework of unifying budget and state institutions

Kubis talks to Menfi about HoR endorsement and to CDA about holding elections

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.