No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

US Libya aim is to reduce arms flow from Turks, Russians and anyone: Pompeo

bySami Zaptia
June 26, 2020
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

London, 25 June 2020:

Speaking at a press briefing in Washington DC yesterday and in answer to the question: ‘‘On Libya, are you willing to (inaudible?) – for a regional conflict in Libya between Turkey and Egypt specifically?’’, U.S. Secretary of State Pompeo said:

“We have worked closely with our European partners to try and get these talks restarted. I was in Berlin now several months back. The mission set remains the same: to get the fighting to stop; to reduce the number of arms flowing there from any place, whether that’s from the Turks, from the Russians, from anyone; to reduce the footprint of the military conflict; and then to find a political solution to resolve, to get a stable, peaceful situation in Tripoli and in Libya more broadly.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Export Development Authority calls for Gulf of Sirte to be assigned as an international nature reserve

NDA’s 350-hectare Sirte Agricultural Project No. 87 reaches 80% completion – supporting food security and reducing dependence on imports

We’re still hopeful that we can get all of those who have an interest there to the table to have these discussions and come to a political resolution.”

The media question directed at Pompeo refers to the fact that Turkey is militarily backing Libya’s internationally recognized government in Tripoli while Egypt (and Russia, UAE and France) is backing Tripoli’s eastern-based opponent, Khalifa Hafter.

After 14 months of being camped on the outskirts of Tripoli, and with increased Turkish military help, Hafter’s forces were forced out of all of western Libya earlier in June. Today, the new battle line is just west of the central Libyan city of Sirte.

Emboldened by their military success, Tripoli wants to continue to push Hafter out of Sirte, the strategically important Jufra airbase and out of the financially imperative eastern crescent oilfields that produce two-thirds of Libya oil. They may even have designs of pushing beyond the oilfields deep into eastern Libya.

However, Egypt, which shares a 1000 km-plus border with Libya, has warned that Sirte and Jufra are a ‘red line’ and that Turkey should not support Tripoli’s forces further east. It has threatened direct and overt (as opposed to its previously covert) military intervention as it cites security interests.

Both Turkey and Tripoli have rejected Egypt’s ‘red line’ concept. Turkey views its military intervention as legal and legitimate – at the invitation of the internationally recognized government in Tripoli.

Egypt says the internationally recognized Libyan parliament in Tobruk (the House of Representatives – HoR) has not endorsed the Tripoli government and therefore it has no legitimacy to invite foreign intervention.

On another note, it will be recalled that in a webinar organized yesterday by Rome 2020 Med Dialogues / ISPI, former UNSMIL head Ghassan Salame blamed the international community for the failure to find a solution in Libya.

He said that the big powers were divided. The US had ceased playing the role of the international Sherriff, the UN was divided, and the Europeans were not serious enough. He said that the US overconcentrated on fighting terrorism in isolation from the wider contexts which took away from other issues and conflicts, whilst Europe was obsessed with fighting illegal migration.

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2020/06/24/salame-blames-international-community-for-libya-failure/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2020/06/23/us-stresses-need-for-libya-military-pause-and-return-to-negotiations-vows-to-deepen-engagement/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2020/06/21/egypt-readies-army-for-intervention-in-libya-declares-sirte-and-jufra-a-red-line/

 

 

Tags: Berlin Libya conference 19 January 2020EgyptfeaturedJufra airbaseKhalifa HafterSirteTurkeyUN SGSR UNSMIL head Ghassan SalameUS secretary of State Mike Pompeo

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

As cases rise to 698, Tripoli extends Coronavirus curfew until 7 July

NOC expresses deep concern at ‘‘Russian mercenary’’ presence at Sharara oilfield

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.