No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Swiss company Kolmar taken to court for possible war crime of pillage through buying smuggled Libyan oil

bySami Zaptia
May 26, 2020
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

After the publication of the report in March by Public Eye and TRIAL showing that Swiss company Kolmar was involved in the smuggling of Libyan fuel, TRIAL has taken KOLMAR to court accusing it of the war crime pillage (Photo: Public Eye/TRIAL).

London, 26 May 2020:

TRIAL International filed a criminal complaint (“dénonciation pénale”) for complicity in pillage of smuggled Libyan fuel against Kolmar Group AG before the Swiss Attorney General on Friday 22 May.

This comes after a joint report published by TRIAL International and Public Eye on 2 March 2020, which reported that the Zug-based Swiss trading company had purchased smuggled fuel from Libya.

TRIAL International said that having analysed the evidence gathered during its investigation, it concluded that the Swiss trader may have been complicit in the war crime of pillage.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba defends subsidies, grants, overspending, over-employment – will support housing but not corruption

Top Brega Oil Marketing Co. official detained in connection with smuggling of 22 million litres of subsidised diesel

It will be recalled that an investigation spanning over a year by Public Eye and TRIAL International in Switzerland, Malta and Sicily revealed that Swiss company, Kolmar Group AG, a large fuel and biofuels trader had been involved in the illegal smuggling of Libyan fuel.

According to the findings of the report published on 2 March, Kolmar received over 20 shipments of marine gasoil from Libya between the spring of 2014 and the summer of 2015. The company was supplied by a network of questionable individuals: Fahmi Ben Khalifa – alias ‘Fahmi Slim’ – previously condemned of drug trafficking in Libya, and his partners Darren and Gordon Debono, two Maltese businessmen. The fuel was delivered to storage units rented in Malta by the Swiss company, the report had said.

It will also be recalled that in March 2016, the UN panel of experts on Libya identified Fahmi Ben Khalifa as the head of one of the most active fuel smuggling cartels in Libya. In the autumn of 2017, Catania’s Guardia di Finanza – a Sicilian police branch under Italy’s Ministry of Economy and Finance – managed to dismantle the network in its entirety. Libyan, Maltese and Italian nationals stand accused: Fahmi Ben Khalifa, Darren and Gordon Debono and seven other individuals have been charged with ‘transnational conspiracy to launder gasoil of illicit origin and fraud’.

The report said Swiss company Kolmar did not deny having purchased more than 50,000 tonnes of fuel when it requested a right of reply to the report. According to the report, which says it has carried out a legal analysis of the evidence, these purchases could constitute complicity in war crimes.

“There were a significant number of indicators, all of which were in the red, that should have deterred Kolmar from carrying out these transactions. We believe that the evidence gathered warrant an investigation by the Swiss Attorney General to determine whether Kolmar wilfully ignored such signals. If so, the company may have been complicit in a war crime”, said Bénédict De Moerloose, head of the International Investigations and Litigation Program at TRIAL International.

If a company knowingly buys stolen raw materials from a country at war, it may indeed be found guilty of complicity in pillage, a war crime under the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court as well as under Swiss criminal law, the report explained.

The fuel purchased by Kolmar Group AG had been looted by a smuggling network, with the support of an armed group, at a time when Libya was torn apart by armed confrontation between rival factions. But for the endeavour to prove profitable, the network needed international buyers. This is precisely where the Swiss company might have contributed to the pillage, which – if proven – could lead to its criminal liability. Several individuals involved in the smuggling operation are currently on trial in Italy.

In filing a criminal complaint, TRIAL International said it hopes that the Swiss Attorney General will also shed full light on this case to determine whether Kolmar’s actions in Malta were in accordance with the law. Whatever the outcome of a potential investigation by the Swiss Attorney General, the this case illustrates the need to adopt stricter rules, such as those advocated by the Responsible Business Initiative, to prevent any future involvement of Swiss companies in the financing of armed groups, the report added.

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2020/03/02/libyas-fuel-smuggling-a-new-swiss-connection-is-revealed/

 

 

 

Tags: featuredfuel smugglingKolmarMaltapublic eyeSwissSwitzerlandTrial International

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

Hafter’s strategic withdrawal looking like a full retreat, Wagner makes hasty exit

Advanced Russian military aircraft recently delivered to Libya via Syria to support Wagner and Hafter: AFRICOM

Advanced Russian military aircraft recently delivered to Libya via Syria to support Wagner and Hafter: AFRICOM

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.