No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Mainly pro Hafter HoR members meet in Cairo and propose a five-point peace plan

bySami Zaptia
July 16, 2019
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Mainly pro Hafter HoR members meet in Cairo and propose a five-point peace plan

By Sami Zaptia.

The predominantly pro Hafter bloc of HoR members attended a meeting on Libya’s future in Cairo on Sunday abd proposed a five-point peace plan (Photo: Tobruk HoR).

London, 16 July 2019:

Members of the Tobruk-based House of Representatives (HoR), seen as being politically aligned with Khalifa Hafter and his Libyan National Army (LNA), participated in a conference in Cairo on Sunday and came out with a five-point plan to end Libya’s crisis.

The HoR reported that more than 70 members attended the conference which proposed the following five-point plan:

1-That the unity and integrity of Libya’s territory is a red line.

RELATED POSTS

Mitiga airport completes preparations to receive Air Cairo flights

HoR Speaker Saleh cancels new import tax having previously claimed he had never agreed such a tax. Is Saleh’s position weakening? Report and analysis

2-Any solution to the current Libyan crisis must be through the HoR, Libya’s only legitimate and elected body.

3-The Cairo conference underlined Libya’s civilian state status, the democratic process, the peaceful transfer of power and the ongoing validity of the 2011 Transitional Constitutional Declaration.

4-The meeting called on all HoR members that did not attend to meet for further dialogue.

5-At the forthcoming meeting of all HoR members, a new “unity government” and a new political roadmap with a clear timeline would be discussed.

At the time of publication there was no response from the Tripoli Faiez Serraj government.

However, many regard the conference as a failed attempt by Egypt to achieve consensus between Tripoli and Khalifa Hafter – and to ensure the continued central political role for Hafter.

It will be recalled that Hafter launched an attack on Tripoli on 4 April in order to “liberate” it from “terrorists”, “Islamists” and “militias”.

The conference is deemed a failure because it was intended to include members from both sides of Libya’s polarized political divide in a “consultative meeting”.

However, the Tripoli breakaway bloc of HoR members refused an invitation earlier this month to attend the Cairo meeting.

The invitation had been communicated to the Tripoli bloc through Egypt’s ambassador to Libya, Tripoli HoR members had reported.

The Tripoli HoR bloc said they had refused the Egyptian invitation for three reasons.

First, the agenda and aim of the Cairo meeting were thought to be unclear.

Secondly, most Tripoli HoR members felt Egypt was partisan and could not be a neutral facilitator.

Finally, some HoR members did not like the political implication of the Egyptian ambassador contacting them directly. They insisted that Egypt recognizes and respects Libya’s internationally-recognized executive – the Faiez Serraj-led Presidency Council and Government of National Accord.

They wanted the invitation to be transmitted to them through Libya’s Tripoli Foreign Ministry.

It will be recalled that Egypt is the main backer of Libya’s eastern administration: the Abdulla Thinni Interim Government, the HoR and the Hafter-led Libyan National Army (LNA).

Together with the UAE and Saudi Arabia they are commonly perceived as the backers of Hafter’s war on Tripoli.

It will also be recalled that, Ageela Saleh, the head of the Tobruk HoR, had rejected the June peace initiative of Faiez Serraj.

Saleh had said that Serraj “has nothing to offer” and that he is a “hostage to Tripoli’s armed militias”.

It must also be noted that while the HoR in their Cairo meeting statement referred to the 2011 Transitional Constitutional Declaration, it made absolutely no reference to the Skhirate Libyan Political Agreement of 2015 – which is still recognized by UNSMIL as the political roadmap and political process.

 

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2019/07/10/hor-head-saleh-rejects-serraj-political-peace-initiative/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2019/07/09/tripoli-breakaway-hor-members-refuse-egypts-invitation-for-cairo-meeting/

 

 

Tags: CairoHoR House of RepresentativesKhalifa HafterLNA Libyan National Army

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
GECOL on defensive in heated press conference to explain chronic power cuts

GECOL on defensive in heated press conference to explain chronic power cuts

Obesity in Libya reached epidemic proportions in the twenty-first century: A study

Obesity in Libya reached epidemic proportions in the twenty-first century: A study

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.