No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Libya signs contract with China’s King Long for 130 buses

bySami Zaptia
March 27, 2019
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libya signs contract with China’s King Long for 130 buses

By Sami Zaptia.

London, 27 March 2019:

Libya has signed a contract to import 130 buses from China’s King Long company. The contract was signed yesterday in Tripoli by Essahim Company for Public Transport, a subsidiary of the National Investment Company (NIC). Essahim will import and operate the buses which will be for Tripoli.

The first batch of 35 of the ‘‘City Bus’’ models will arrive within four months of the contract signing and will go into operation by the end of the year.

The NIC is a curious private / state holding company that owns a number of subsidiaries. It was formed by the Qaddafi regime in 1986 by forcibly deducting 1.5 percent from the salary of every Libyan to form the company with a capital of LD 1.2 billion. Essahim is thought to be worth around LD 22 million which it raised through an IPO.

RELATED POSTS

NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

Tripoli City Metro options reviewed including financing mechanisms and investment opportunities

The value of the contract was not revealed, but it is reported it was won through a tender process. Tripoli business sources told Libya Herald that in fact the initial contract is for only 35 buses which cost around LD 100,000 each.

About 35 companies were invited to participate in the tender, but only three made offers. Besides King Long, Hyundai and a Jordanian company made offers. However, since the Libyans requested Euro 3 and Euro 4 emission specifications, which are deemed outadated by most of the leading bus manufacturers, very few made offers.

The sources also report that the Essahim may face difficulty in completing the contract, as it had budgeted on the basis of being granted a preferential exchange rate (LD 1.4/dollar) by the Tripoli Central Bank of Libya (CBL) rather than the new official LD 4 to the dollar.

The Tripoli CBL has apparently so far refused to grant any preferential exchange rates for the deal in line with the new post-Qaddafi era where the private sector is to be allowed a more level playing field in which to compete with the dominant and suffocating state sector.

Private business leaders told this publication today that they are watching the deal closely as an indicator of how the CBL will deal with such pressures from vested interests. Its actions could set either a positive or a negative precedent for the way forward, they explained.

Tags: busChinaEssahim Compay for Public TransportfeaturedKing LongNational Investment Company NICtendertransportTripoli

Related Posts

LAIP delegation visits Maputo, Mozambique to recover seized rice project
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio holds coordination meeting with Nigerian embassy on Transit Corridors Project

November 28, 2025
Libyan Export Promotion Centre changes to become Libyan Export Development Authority – new logo adopted
Business

Libyan Export Development Authority to launch subsidised direct shipping service to Sub-Saharan African ports

November 28, 2025
LBBC concludes productive Benghazi visit strengthening UK-Libya business collaboration
Business

Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

November 28, 2025
Toyota Libya starts training 8 youth as part of its regular “Discover Your Talent” training programme
Business

Toyota Libya signs MoU with Ministry of Labour and Rehabilitation to strengthen cooperation in training and skills development

November 27, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

November 27, 2025
LBC leading delegation to Miami for America’s Food and Beverage Show – 18 to 20 September
Business

Libyan Business Council hosts Italian Consul and Commercial Attaché to discuss Italy’s Residency and Investment Programmes

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Libya’s February US$ 1.26 bn oil revenues down by 330 million

Libya’s February US$ 1.26 bn oil revenues down by 330 million

Economy Minister appointed chairman of divided PIB in reunification move by Serraj

Economy Minister appointed chairman of divided PIB in reunification move by Serraj

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.