No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LIA condemns forced entry at its LAFICO subsidiary offices

bySami Zaptia
October 31, 2018
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
LIA condemns forced entry at its LAFICO subsidiary offices

The LIA has condemned the forced entry into the offices of its LAFICO subsidiary (Photo: LAFICO logo).

By Sami Zaptia.

The LIA has condemned the forced entry into the offices of its LAFICO subsidiary (Photo: LAFICO logo).
The LIA has condemned the forced entry into the offices of its LAFICO subsidiary (Photo: LAFICO logo).

London, 31 October 2018:

Libya’s main sovereign wealth fund entity, the Libyan Investment Authority (LIA), has condemned the forced entry into its Libyan Arab Foreign Investment Company (LAFICO) subsidiary yesterday.

The subsidiary’s Tripoli office was forcibly entered by a parallel board of directors created by the internationally-unrecognized eastern based Libyan Interim Government.

It is not clear exactly how this parallel board of directors gained entry into the LAFICO offices and whether they were aided by any militias.

RELATED POSTS

LIA welcomes UN Security Council’s updated Implementation Assistance Notice No. 6 clarifying interpretation of its asset freezing measures

LIA discusses with Germany reinvestment of frozen Libyan funds in Germany within Security Council resolutions – Sentry report disagrees

It will be recalled that the 2015 Skhirat Libyan Political Agreement (LPA) and the international community recognize only the Presidency Council and its Government of National Accord (PC/GNA) and the heads of sovereign entities that it appoints.

Equally, the LPA stipulates that any sovereign positions are to be made consensually between the House of Representatives and the High State Council.

At the time of writing the Serraj-led PC/GNA had made no comments on the incident.

It is also unclear why the regular security forces aligned to the Serraj PC/GNA had failed to react to the forced entry, especially in view of the claim by the Serraj PC/GNA that it is currently enacting “new security arrangements” in the capital.

It will also be recalled that in August this year the LIA was itself forced to abandon its main Tripoli headquarters at the downtown Tripoli Tower due to persistent militia coercion and interference in its internal affairs.

The LIA had condemned the actions of the militia that was ostensibly entrusted with guarding the Tripoli Tower and was nominally-aligned to the Faiez Serraj-led Presidency Council.

The LIA had said that the militia had persistently threatened and frightened its employees as well as at one stage having kidnapped one manager and held him hostage at their base across from the LIA (former Women’s Military Academy).

The militia had also tried to coerce managers into ignoring the orders of their superiors, cut off staff emails and attempted to prevent the LIA relocating to a new HQ.

As a result of all these actions, which the LIA had said were affecting its performance, it decided to move to a new location. The LIA did not reveal its new location.

There had been speculation at the time that it might return to its emergency/back-up office in Malta. However, sources had informed this newspaper that it has relocated to the Tripoli office of one of its subsidiaries.

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/08/08/lia-forced-to-abandon-its-tripoli-hq-due-to-militia-coercion/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/10/30/belgium-accused-of-using-libyas-frozen-assets-in-financing-militias-and-human-trafficking/

 

 

Tags: featuredLAFICOLIA Libyan Investment AuthorityParallel board of directors

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post
HoR and HSC final agreement on restructuring Presidency Council handed to UNSMIL

HoR and HSC final agreement on restructuring Presidency Council handed to UNSMIL

Serraj reveals his discussion agenda for Palermo conference

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.