No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UN reports civilian deaths, injuries and displaced in Derna conflict

bySami Zaptia
May 18, 2018
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
UN reports civilian deaths, injuries and displaced in Derna conflict

By Sami Zaptia.

260-UN Derna report 16 May-180518

London, 18 May 2018:

Since the latest escalation of armed conflict in Derna on 15 May, health sector sources report that at least six civilians have been killed and 14 injured, including one child, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs for Libya(OCHA) reports.

It says that some 300 to 500 families have reportedly been displaced from Al Fatayih area (east of Derna city), to Derna city as a result of the renewed conflict.

RELATED POSTS

Atletico Madrid win Benghazi’s Reconstruction Cup after beating Inter Milan 4-3 on penalties – great political showpiece for Hafter

UNSMIL expresses concern over mobilisation of forces by Hafter and anti-Hafter forces

Since mid-April, conflict has intensified in Derna following statements of an imminent large-scale offensive by the Libyan National Army (LNA). As fighting appears to be intensifying and approaches populated areas protection of civilians concerns are significant, it said. However, it said that people are reportedly able to enter and exit the city.

But the UN report says humanitarian access to Derna is severely limited and humanitarian supplies are awaiting approval to enter. The most urgent needs are in the health sector. If closures remain, humanitarian needs will increase, it added.

The report says that tightened encirclement and closure of Derna, imposed by the Libyan National Army (LNA), has been ongoing since July 2017. Periodic escalations of armed conflict occur, as witnessed since mid-April when the LNA announced it would start a large-scale offensive against armed groups in Derna. On 14 April, the LNA started to make advances towards Ain Mara in western Derna. Since that time, airstrikes, shelling, artillery fire and fighting between armed forces has been ongoing.

The main areas of clashes have been Al Hila (south of Derna city), al Fatayih (east of Derna city), and Saida Khadija, Ain Mara in the west and Dhar Al Hamr to the south-west, encircling Derna city from all sides. However until 15 May, fighting was contained to areas with few civilians. This resulted in one civilian death on 8 May and temporary small-scale displacement (30 households) earlier in May, as well as livelihoods damages. Multiple casualties occurred among armed forces, the report explained.

As the escalation of armed conflict intensified on 15 May, there are unconfirmed reports of six civilian deaths, including one child, and 14 injured, as well as at least 47 casualties among armed forces. Damage to civilian homes as a result of airstrikes is also reported. The armed conflict is reportedly approaching the populated areas and Derna city itself, particularly from the south.

Some 300 to 500 households are reported as displaced from Al Fatayih area and have moved closer towards Derna city. More displacement is anticipated towards the city and inside Derna city if the clashes were to move to inside populated areas. It is anticipated that many people would not attempt to leave Derna city due to security concerns and for economic reasons. People have, on several occasions since mid-April, received messages to leave and avoid the areas of ongoing clashes.

It is reported that people are able to enter and exit Derna, but checkpoints and roadblocks are in place. In previous escalations, such as in October 2017, residential areas were hit and civilian casualties occurred. Delays in the evacuation of casualties; delays at checkpoints for urgent medical referrals; attacks on medical personnel and facilities and general movement restrictions have also been reported in the past, hampering people’s access to basic services, markets outside of Derna and financial services.

Tags: DernafeaturedKhalifa HafterLNA Libyan National Army

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Misrata airport shuts down after militia steals seized Euros

Libya to introduce online booking system and app for Eid rams, expects to import 800,000 heads at Euro 130 m

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.