No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Election Commission suicide bombings will not distract from democracy and 2018 elections: Serraj

bySami Zaptia
May 9, 2018
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Mohamed Sallak, the spokesperson for the head of the PC, Faiez Serraj said the 2018 budget had been referred to the CBL and Audit Bureau last week and expects to be ready this week (Photo: Presidency Council).
Presidency Council head, Faiez Serraj said that the terrorist suicide attack on Libya’s Election Commission’s HQ would not distract Libya from democracy or its planned 2018 elections, Mohamed El-Sallak, his spokesperson reported (Photo: Presidency Council).

London, 9 May 2018:

The terrorist suicide attack on Libya’s High National Election Commission (HNEC) last Wednesday would not distract Libya from democracy and the planned 2018 elections. The reconfirmation was made by Faiez Serraj head of the Presidency Council through his official spokesperson Mohamed El-Sallak.

Speaking at yesterday’s press conference, El-Sallak said that a commission of inquiry was continuing its intensive work regarding the circumstances of the terrorist attack on the HNEC. This is continuing with the follow-up by Serraj and the direct supervision of the Minister of Interior.

In parallel with the investigations, a number of exceptional measures had also been taken to protect the headquarters of HNEC, he added.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

At the first 2026 Cabinet meeting: Aldabaiba calls for unified state institutions, freezes development spending and calls for elections

El-Sallak added that Serraj stressed that such criminal acts would not hinder the democratic process and the holding of elections, with the stress on the swift fulfilment of the constitutional entitlements based on which the legislative and presidential elections are to be held before the end of this year.

Serraj further echoed this the next day at the opening of the Libyan-Italian Economic Forum. After paying his condolences and respects to the victims of the terror attack of the previous day, he added that it was a warning that Libya’s security challenge was still present.

He had said that the HNEC terrorist operation was similar in nature to what was being committed in many Arab and European capitals, which needs to be addressed and ended through unified, regional and international efforts and coordination.

Serraj had stressed that these terrorist operations will not discourage Libya from adhering to the democratic path that it has embarked on, and which these terrorists are enemies of.

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/05/02/terror-suicide-attack-on-libyas-election-commission-tripoli-hq-kills-at-least-14/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/05/09/libyan-italian-economic-forum-held-in-tripoli-serraj-looks-for-practical-steps-to-occupy-youth-from-illicit-activities/

 

 

 

Tags: democracyelectionsFaiez Serraj.Presidency CouncilHNEC High National Elections Commissionterrorist suicide bomb

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
CBL announces agreement with PC on 2018 budget of LD 42.5 bn

CBL announces agreement with PC on 2018 budget of LD 42.5 bn

Kidnapped Jumhuriya bank manager’s body found near Sebha crossroads

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.