No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Deputy HoR head calls on State Council to install Shukri as new CBL Governor

bySami Zaptia
May 24, 2018
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Deputy HoR head calls on State Council to install Shukri as new CBL Governor

HoR Deputy head Neweri has called upon the HSC to install Shukri as the new CBL Governor (Photo: Neweri FB page).

By Sami Zaptia.

HoR Deputy head Neweri has called upon the HSC to install Shukri as the new CBL Governor (Photo: Neweri FB page).
HoR Deputy head Neweri has called upon the HSC to install Shukri as the new CBL Governor (Photo: Neweri FB page).

London, 24 May 2018:

The First Deputy Head of the House of Representatives (HoR), Fawzi Taher Al-Neweri, has called upon the High State Council (HSC) to urgently install the HoR’s nomination, Mohamed Shukri, in his post in Tripoli as the new Central Bank of Libya (CBL) Governor.

In a statement released today, Neweri said that there had been many meetings held between him, members of the HoR, the head and members of the HSC regarding the HoR’s decision to appoint a new CBL Governor.

This decision, Neweri said, was an exceptional decision taken in view of economic, financial and monetary conditions that had (negatively) affected citizens’ lives directly.

RELATED POSTS

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

Economic diversification conference held in Benghazi by HoR and CBL

However, Neweri added, due to the stalling of the Libyan Political Agreement amendment process and the economic and financial crisis, and the widespread administrative and financial corruption, which is based on the institutional division (in the country), and after the release by the monitoring authorities of their reports which reveal the scale of this corruption and its resulting suffering on Libyan citizens, I call on members of the HSC to prioritize the high national interest by dealing urgently and positively with the HoR’s appointment of Shukri as Governor of the CBL. This is especially in view of its effect on the lives of citizens at this difficult time.

The HoR, Neweri concluded, undertake to uphold article 15 of the Libyan Political Agreement regarding the other sovereign state positions through the agreed process.

It will be recalled that article 15 of the LPA prescribes that all top sovereign state posts are to be appointed by the HoR but in consultation with the HSC through a joint committee. The HoR, however, had appointed Shukri as the new CBL Governor without consulting the HSC. This led to the appointment being rejected by the HSC head at the time, Abdulrahman Swehli, the incumbent Governor Elkaber and UNSMIL

However, it is thought that the HoR now feels that the new HSC head, Khaled Mishri, is more agreeable to installing Shukri as the new CBL Governor.

It will be recalled that there have been efforts to reunite the CBL, along the lines of the successful reunification of the National Oil Corporation. Ali Hibri and the other three eastern-aligned CBL Board members had announced their readiness to hold a full unified board meeting – called for by Faiez Serraj – in order to unify the CBL. They had accused El-Kaber of putting up preconditions for such a meeting and in effect refusing to unify the CBL.

It will also be recalled that Saddek El-Kaber was first dismissed from his post back in April 2015. The decision (No. (14) of 2015) to sack him was signed by Ali Hibri, who at the time represented the only internationally recognized government and parliament, the HoR.

He was subsequently sacked from his post for a second time by the HoR on 14 September 2014 after he had failed to turn up to Tobruk for questioning.

El-Kaber justifies remaining in his post on the bases of the fact that Libyan law and CBL regulations do not allow for a vacant post of Governor. Kaber would only vacate his post if his replacement arrived in Tripoli.

Kaber also does not recognize any CBL decisions taken in meetings held outside Libya, such as those held in Tunisia. Libyan law / CBL regulations stipulate that all such decisions must be taken in meetings held within Libya.

On the other hand, leading Libyan lawyer and human rights activist Azza Maghur has criticised UNSMIL for double standards on the Shukri appointment – when it comes to the interpretation and implementation of the LPA.

 

 

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2017/12/23/shukri-could-take-up-new-post-as-new-cbl-governor-in-compromise-move-with-hsc-hor-sources/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2017/12/20/unsmil-rejects-hor-election-of-shukri-as-central-bank-governor-says-elkaber-still-in-place/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2017/12/19/hor-elects-mohamed-al-shukri-as-new-cbl-governor-hibri-humiliated/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/04/08/khaled-mishri-appointed-new-head-of-high-state-council/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/05/24/audit-bureau-releases-its-2017-annual-report/

 

Tags: CBL GovernorCBL Governor Saddek ElkaberfeaturedHoR House of RepresentativesHSC High State CouncilKhaled Mishri head of HSCMohamed Al-Shukri

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post

HoR and PC condemn ''cowardly terror'' Benghazi car bomb, seven deaths confirmed

UN demands urgent humanitarian access into LNA-besieged Derna

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benina Airport installs first-ever ILS/DME Navigational Aids System by Spain’s Sky Navigation Systems

Sirte Oil Company completes drilling of horizontal well C345H in the Ziltan field with production rate of 2,000 barrels per day

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.