No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Rada confirms detention of two IS militants following aborted Tripoli car bombings

bySami Zaptia
January 10, 2018
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Rada confirms detention of two IS militants following aborted Tripoli car bombings

A Tripoli bomb was defused by the Abusleem Deterrence and Rapid Intervention Force (Photo: Abusleem Deterrence and Rapid Intervention Force).

By Jamie Prentis.

A Tripoli bomb was defused by the Abusleem Deterrence and Rapid Intervention Force (Photo: Abusleem Deterrence and Rapid Intervention Force).
A Tripoli bomb was defused by the Abusleem Deterrence and Rapid Intervention Force (Photo: Abusleem Deterrence and Rapid Intervention Force).

Tunis, 10 January 2018:

The Rada Special Deterrence Force has confirmed to Libya Herald that it had arrested suspected members of the so-called Islamic State (IS) after two failed car bomb attempts in Tripoli’s industrial district.

Spokesman Ahmed Ben Salem told this publication that the men had been wanted and had been tracked by Rada following the unsuccessful detonation attempts.

“The first time the first battery was not working. They changed it, but the bomb did not go off again either,” he said, explaining the reason for the failed detonations.

RELATED POSTS

HSC welcomes peaceful resolution of Tripoli government-SDF / RADA standoff over Mitiga airport and prison control

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

The two men gave their names as Mohamed Abdullah Balah, born in 1997, and Siraj Khalifa Al-Jahawi, born in 1992, in an apparent confession video released by Rada.

Ben Salem said the men had arrived in Tripoli from the desert regions near to Sebha having taken their orders from there. It has often been claimed that remnants of IS inhabit the sparsely populated southern area.

 

The mobile phone battery did not work and failed to set off the bomb (Photo: Abusleem Deterrence and Rapid Intervention Force).
The mobile phone battery did not work and failed to set off the bomb (Photo: Abusleem Deterrence and Rapid Intervention Force).

 

Furthermore, Ben Salem said the accused men had previously fought alongside militants in Benghazi’s Sabri but fled when an offensive was launched on the district.

The bombs had been deactivated by the Busleem Deterence and Rapid Intervention Force.

Rada has often been at the forefront of attempts to clampdown on IS, but has also focused its efforts on drug dealers and criminality. It was Rada who arrested the brother and father of the Manchester bomber Salman Abedi in May.

But Rada has also come in for criticism for some of its arrests which are seen as no more than illegal detentions reflecting their personal Salafist interpretation of Islam. It was recently widely criticised for arresting the young organizers of the Comic Con event in Tripoli. Rada was forced to release all of them after it failed to persuade the Prosecutor General to bring any charges against them.

Tags: bombComic Convention Comic ConfeaturedIS/ISIS/DAESHRada SDF Special Deterrence ForceSalafist

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post
Serraj calls on UN chief to visit Libya

Serraj calls on UN chief to visit Libya

Dinghy sinks off Libya, 50 immigrants dead

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.