No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libyan journalists slam Amnesty International’s slavery post

byNigel Ash
December 6, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libyan journalists slam Amnesty International’s slavery post

By Libya Herald reporters.

"You can buy two people for the price of a mobile phone in Libya" said Amnesty
“You can buy two people for the price of a mobile phone in Libya” said Amnesty International

Tunis, 5 December 2017:

A group of 107 Libya journalists has protested that Amnesty International has been encouraging violence and hatred against Libyans with its responses to the CNN broadcast that appeared to show African migrants being sold as slaves.

The journalists have taken particular exception to a Facebook post from the human rights’ organisation (above) which said  “You can buy two people for the price of a mobile phone in Libya”.  It was published in Arabic on 24 November ahead of the African Union, European Union summit in Abidjan.

They said in a statement that as both Libyans and professional journalists and media activists who looked  for the truth, they were gravely concerned by Amnesty’s assertion.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan militias intensified suppression of dissent, attacks on civil society. Thousands arbitrarily detained, arrested for exercise of human rights: Amnesty International report

Eastern Libya authorities must lift restrictions on journalists: Amnesty International

“The poster, with its false allegations, gives an impression that the slave markets have opened in Libya”.  They continued thatm worse than this, Amnesty had not thought about the moral and material harm caused to all Libyans. They maintained that as a result of the allegations, many Libyans had been subjected to verbal and physical violence around the world. The slavery reports had increased feelings of hatred towards Libyans and Libyan interests abroad.

They said that they deplored the treatment of migrants by some criminal groups but pointed out that the migrants were not the only victims. “Even Libyans are suffering from the behaviour of these gangs.”

They added: “However, we are sure that those evil acts have not reached the level of human trafficking and the sale of migrants in slave markets”.

Libyan state institutions were making every effort to get to the truth, they said. Until now, the slavery allegations were based on no evidence except some dubious video clips.

The journalists praised Amnesty’s human rights role but said that the organisation should apologise for and withdraw its post, which, they repeated, incited violence and hatred.

Tags: Amnesty InternationalCNNfeaturedjournalistsLibyaprotestslavery

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
International community must do more to help Libya says Eni chairman

International community must do more to help Libya says Eni chairman

Libyan-British oil industry cooperation conference proposed

Libyan-British oil industry cooperation conference proposed

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.