No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 16, 2024
29 °c
Tripoli
30 ° Sat
31 ° Sun
28 ° Mon
28 ° Tue
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Usama Juwaili and Zintani forces takes Aziziya

byMichel Cousins
November 9, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Usama Juwaili and Zintani forces takes Aziziya
21
SHARES
91
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

By Libya Herald reporter.

Military forces Aziziya
Zintani military forces enter Aziziya (Photo: Zintan media office)

Tunis, 8 November 2017:

Forces under the control of Major-General Usama Juwaili, commander of the Presidency Council’s western military zone, have taken control of Aziziya, the main town in the Wirshefana district of Jafara west of Tripoli. It happened overnight following a six-day military operation in the area by Juwaili, supported by Imad Trabulsi, head of the Special Operations Force, and latterly by the Tripoli Revolutionaries Brigade of Haithem Tajouri . The latter set itself up at the Zahra Bridge on the Swani road south of the capital.

According to sources in the district, Juwaili’s men were able to move into Aziziya following a deal with Wirshefani militia commander Muammar Al-Dhawi, a lifelong friend of Juwaili. They have taken over the 4th Brigade camp in the town, previously controlled by Omar Tantoush.

It is reported that a number of “criminals” allegedly involved in kidnappings and other crimes were arrested last night, including Mohammed Bujafr Sburtu, accused of a number of abductions on the coast road. Some reports, though, say that several were able to escape in the confusion this morning as more forces arrived. The takeover was largely peaceful and the town is now said to be calm.

RELATED POSTS

Spanish visiting medical team perform joint operations in Beida, US-based consultant visiting in Zintan

Implementation of Zintan Free Zone and exhibitions centre ongoing

In a statement, Zintan Military Council said that the operation had been to show that no one was above the law. As part of that, a major checkpoint on the road into Aziziya made of containers has been dismantled.

According to the Fursan Janzur brigade, however, the coast road remains closed “for security reasons” although it says that some 60 men from the Wirshefana area as well as “mercenaries” surrendered themselves and their arms to the brigade during the day.

Also still closed is the main road between Aziziya and Gharyan. According to the mayor of Gharyan, it remains unsafe and there were clashes there this morning. People are still having to take the longer route via Esbaia, he told the Libya Herald. However, he hoped the road would reopen within 24 hours, adding: “We want the police to provide security in the area. We don’t want militias and armed forces.”

One report from Zintan claims that the 4th camp was full of pro-Qaddafi publicity material.

There have been claims that the real objective of the Juwali offensive was not to crack down on criminals, but on pro-Qaddafi forces in the area that were losing faith in Saif Al-Islam and were in the process of changing their allegiance to Khalifa Hafter and the Libyan National Army.

Assessing the implications of the developments in the Wirshefana area, Hafter today at his headquarter at Rajma outside Benghazi had talks with Brigadier Basheer Al-Najeej, the commander of the 4th Brigade, and Colonel Masoud Al-Dhawi, head of the 26th Brigade.

Hafter meets (
Hafter meets Wirshefani commanders (Photo: LNA)
Tags: AziziyafeaturedLibyaWirshefanaZintan
Share8Tweet5Share1

Related Posts

GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba lauds the role of a unified army (versus warlords and militias)

August 12, 2024
Nine deaths and 16 injured in Tajura state-recognised militia clashes
Libya

Nine deaths and 16 injured in Tajura state-recognised militia clashes

August 10, 2024
Libya

France, Germany, Italy, UK and the US express concerns over ongoing military movements in Libya’s southwest region

August 10, 2024
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

UNSMIL expresses concern over mobilisation of forces by Hafter and anti-Hafter forces

August 10, 2024
Libya and Shell discuss several areas of cooperation
Libya

Charges of corruption have left Aldabaiba seeking third Oil and Gas Minister in five months

August 8, 2024
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Acting Oil and Gas Minister Khalifa Abdel Sadig, and his Office Director, detained over € 457.6 million payment to foreign company

August 8, 2024
Next Post
HoR increases retirement age to 70

HoR increases retirement age to 70

US Benghazi attack suspect Al-Imam pleads not guilty in Washington

US Benghazi attack suspect Al-Imam pleads not guilty in Washington

[adning id="135590"]
ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • France, Germany, Italy, UK and the US express concerns over ongoing military movements in Libya’s southwest region

    216 shares
    Share 86 Tweet 54
  • Mitiga Airport’s new terminal to open next Sunday with two test flights

    197 shares
    Share 79 Tweet 49
  • Nine deaths and 16 injured in Tajura state-recognised militia clashes

    180 shares
    Share 72 Tweet 45
  • UNSMIL expresses concern over mobilisation of forces by Hafter and anti-Hafter forces

    125 shares
    Share 50 Tweet 31
  • Charges of corruption have left Aldabaiba seeking third Oil and Gas Minister in five months

    159 shares
    Share 64 Tweet 40
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Minister of Economy Hwej invited to head Libya delegation to Forum on China-Africa Cooperation this September in Beijing

Benghazi’s Jiliana Free Port continues transit trade to Chad

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign In with Facebook
    Sign In with Linked In
    OR

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Sign Up with Facebook
    Sign Up with Linked In
    OR

    Fill the forms bellow to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Cart
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.
    Are you sure want to unlock this post?
    Unlock left : 0
    Are you sure want to cancel subscription?