No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misrata bomb at law courts kills four: UPDATE

byMichel Cousins
October 4, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Misrata bomb at law courts kills four: UPDATE

Misrata bobing

By Libya Herald reporters.

Misrata bobing
Results of the Misrata court bombing (Photo: Social media)

Misrata/Tunis, 4 October 2017:

A major attack on the court buildings in Misrata this morning is reported to have killed four people and seriously injured 15.  At least a further 25 are said to have been wounded in what appears to have been a coordinated assault for which the so-called Islamic State (IS) has claimed responsibility.

The court was in session when it was attacked around 11.30 am by three men who started shooting.It was initially suggested that the assault may have been an attempt to free IS members who were on trial. However, the mayor of Misrata, Mohamed Eshtewi, has said that no IS trial was taking place.

According to a court employee, he and his colleagues were told that they were being attacked by IS and were given guns to defend themselves.  The shootout lasted for over half an hour during which the judicial police and support units that arrived to help them managed to kill one of the attackers.  One of the others then blew himself up on the second floor. Video footage shows the second floor windows being blown out.

RELATED POSTS

Third edition of Banking and Business Technology Forum kicked off in Misrata under patronage of Central Bank of Libya

59 containers loaded with boats seized in Misrata suspected of being intended for use in illegal immigration operations

The third terrorist then blew himself up on the ground floor. Reports of a car bomb outside the court were not true.

Defence ministry and formerly Bunyan Marsous spokesman Mohamed al-Ghasri has said that the attack targeted the head of the court, Assadik Badi, saying it was in revenge for statements he had made about IS.

The area around the complex was initially cordoned off amid fears of further attacks

Misrata Central Hospital put out an appeal to staff to come in and help deal with the wounded.

Misrata suffered a number of suicide bombings in 2015 and last year. But despite fears that IS cells would revert to to the tactic after their defeat by Misrata-led forces in Sirte, there have been no attacks – until now.

Condemnation of the attack, and condolences for those killed has been coming from all quarters in Libya, including from Khalifa Hafter.

Three of the dead have been named as police officers Mohamed Al-Naali, Abdussalam Abuali and Mohamed Jibril.

Tags: featuredIslamic StateLibyaMisrata

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post
Fire at immigration department building

Fire at immigration department building

NOC lifts force majeure on Sharara after Tuareg unit restores order

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Industry exploring establishing two-million-ton annual capacity “environmentally friendly” cement plant with China’s Goodwill Ceramic

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.