No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Italian ambassador in Benghazi

byNigel Ash
October 17, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Italian ambassador in Benghazi

Ambassador Perrone at Benghazi port today (Photo: Italian embassy)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Ambassador Perrone at Benghazi port today (Photo: Italian embassy)
Ambassador Perrone at Benghazi port today (Photo: Italian embassy)

Benghazi, 16 October 2017:

Italian ambassador Giuseppe Perrone has been in Benghazi four months after a satirical social media post by his embassy in Tripoli infuriated the House of Representatives (HoR).

Perrone today visited the city’s reopened port and the university and had talks with mayor Abdelrahman Elabbar and the Benghazi chamber of commerce.

There were no echoes of the June row, when the parliament’s defence committee sought to ban the ambassador from the east of the country after the embassy’s Twitter feed (its web page is still under construction) mocked the committee’s list of 75 Libyans whom it had designated as “terrorists”.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

Today’s visit was marked by friendliness all round. Perrone said afterwards that infrastructure investment was crucial for the development of Libya’s economy. He said that now that Benghazi was stable, it was time to build the future.  He insisted there was a joint commitment between Libya and Italy to deepen economic, cultural and social ties.

He added that Italy was working with the mayor and the city’s chamber of commerce to rebuild Benghazi in partnership with Italian companies.

“Let’s rebuild what was lost” he said on social media. During his visit to the university, he praised the way academic activities had continued despite the conflict.

In April before the row blew up over the tweet, which was quickly deleted, Perrone had been working to convince the east that Rome was not favouring any of the rival parties in Libya. He had visited Benghazi for talks with armed forces commander-in-chief Khalifa Hafter and HoR president Ageela Saleh in which it was agreed that Libyan National Army (LNA) wounded would be flown to Italy for treatment in military hospitals.

In July, Italy also opened an agency in Tobruk to process applications for EU Schengen visas.

Tags: Abdelrahman ElabbarBenghazifeaturedGiuseppe PerroneItalyLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Bani Walid airbase moves towards becoming a civil airport

Bani Walid airbase moves towards becoming a civil airport

HoR suspend Tunis dialogue talks, accuses State Council of reneging on deal agreed so far

HoR suspend Tunis dialogue talks, accuses State Council of reneging on deal agreed so far

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.