No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Zawia refinery reported operating normally again after attack by militia

byMichel Cousins
September 19, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Tankers leaving the Zawia refinery (File photo)
Tankers at the Zawia refinery (File photo)

Tunis, 19 September 2017:

Zawia refinery and its pumping station were said to be back to normal after an attack yesterday by an armed group.

According to the National Oil Corporation, the group forced their way into the refinery’s pumping control early yesterday afternoon and compelled staff to stop pumping fuel through the pipeline to the Tripoli oil depot. Imposing a siege on the refinery, they also prevented trucks taking fuel to the capital.   Both diesel and petrol supplies were affected.

Warning that the action would result in fuel shortages in both Tripoli and the Jebel Nafusa, the NOC later said that as an emergency measure it would be diverting tankers importing fuel to Tripoli port rather than Zawia. It also warned that it was planning legal action against those responsible and called for national solidarity against them.

RELATED POSTS

Presidency Council Head commits to transparency, disclosure, oversight – cutting off system of bribery, brokerage, and unregulated spending

Zawia airport construction starts – under the NDA and to be implemented by a Turkish company

This afternoon, however, it was reported that following negotiations the siege had been lifted and that the situation was back to normal.

NOC has not said who was responsible and local officials have also been reticent about naming anyone. However, this newspaper has been told that the town’s powerful Ahneish clan was behind the action.

The reason for the blockade, however, has not been disclosed, although it is thought that the gunmen’s demands are about money.

Last month, production at the refinery was brought to a temporary halt and the fuel pipeline to the Tripoli depot likewise closed on the airport road after gunmen seized control of the main control room. Their demand was that the Presidency Council (PC) ensure the freedom for four local militants arrested in Saudi Arabia on suspicion of involvement in the  kidnapping in 2014 in Tripoli of Egyptian diplomats. The PC refused the demand.

 

Tags: featuredLivyaNOCTripoliZawia

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Ras Jedir border crossing remains closed

Small pro-Igtet demonstration in Misrata amid counter claims over Igtet meeting with Muslim Brotherhood

Small pro-Igtet demonstration in Misrata amid counter claims over Igtet meeting with Muslim Brotherhood

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.