No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Improved security could start return of foreign business says South Korean ambassador

byMichel Cousins
August 3, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Improved security could start return of foreign business says South Korean ambassador

South Korean ambassador Kim Young-chee (centre) with Central Bank of Libya governor (Sad

By Libya Herald team.

South Korean ambassador Kim Young-chee (centre) with Central Bank of Libya governor (Sad
South Korean ambassador Kim Young-chae (centre) with Central Bank of Libya governor Saddek Elkaber (right) and Chuhwan Byun, minister councillor at the South Korean embassy (Photo: CBL)

Tunis, 2 August 2017:

Top Libya officials are pressing South Korea to allow its companies to return to Libya and complete unfinished projects. The call was made in separate talks in Tripoli over the past two days with South Korean ambassador Kim Young-chae by officials with state electricity company GECOL, National Oil Corporation chairman Mustafa Sanalla and Central Bank of Libya (CBL) governor Saddek Elkaber

Referring to suggestions that Libya’s security situation is improving, the ambassador was quoted by NOC as saying that “this encourages companies, not only Korean companies but all foreign companies, to return to work in Libya”. He is also quoted saying that a number of Korean companies would be visiting Libya shortly to discuss a possible return.

However, a Korean official told the Libya Herald this evening that despite the talks, the Korean government still had not decided as to whether Korean companies could return. Similarly, there had been no decision on reopening the Korean embassy.

RELATED POSTS

South Korean Embassy delegation visits Misrata Airport

Justice may be delayed, but it is not absent‎: Former NOC chairman Sanalla on yesterday’s oil closures prison sentences

The ambassador separately met Elkabir and Sanalla today. The Korean National Oil Corporation has had a stake in the Fil field alongside Italy’s Eni and Sanalla wants to encourage as many foreign oil companies as possible to invest in exploration and production so as to increate output.  Sanalla, who stressed the good reputation  that the Korean companies had in Libya, particularly in the oil sector, asked the ambassador to organise a series of conferences with the Korean and Libyan companies to discuss developing cooperation, to be held either in Libya or by televised link.

A return of South Korean companies was also the main subject in the talks with the CBL’s Elkaber.

With Libya continuing to suffer constant power cuts, GECOL is particularly keen to get South Korean companies to return and complete work on power stations. Two Korean engineering giants, Hyundai and Doosan, were building the $.5-billion 1,400-MW Khaleej power station in Sirte and between them had almost a thousand workers on the project until they pulled then out in August 2014. Hyundai was also involved in expanding Tripoli West power station.

Yesterday, the ambassador was given a tour of the Tripoli West station and local officials pressed on him the importance of finishing the upgrade in the hope of securing an early return of the South Koreans.

Tags: CBLfeaturedLibyaMustafa SanallaSouth Korea

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

New chargé d’affaires for Moscow embassy

NOC switches eastern LPG deliveries to Zuweitina

NOC switches eastern LPG deliveries to Zuweitina

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.