No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Derna Mujahedeen attempt to break seige as LNA commander vows total blockade

byMichel Cousins
July 30, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Derna Mujahedeen attempt to break seige as LNA commander vows total blockade

as

By Jamie Prentis.

asd
Omar Mukhtar Operations Room head Brigadier Salem Rifadi orders total siege of Derna (Photo: Social media) 

Tunis, 30 July 2017:

An attempt by fighters from the Derna Mujahedeen Shoura Council (DMSC) to break through the Libyan National Army (LNA)’s blockade of the town ended in failure this morning and appears to have given the LNA the chance to take the Kasarat area in the eastern part. The move came as the head of the LNA’s Omar Mukhtar Operations Room tasked with taking Derna, Brigadier Salem Rifadi, declared that there would now be a total blockade. No food, medicines, cooking gas, petrol or anything else would be allowed in.

His decision follows the news that one of two pilots shot down over the town yesterday by the DMSC, Colonel Adel Jehani, had died, apparently executed. There have, however, still been no details as to how in fact Jehani died.

The DMSC offensive started at dawn today with muhajideen forces attacking LNA positions around the town. It led to the death of five LNA soldiers. Another four were injured, sources in Derna said. For its part, the DMSC says it lost one man.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Development & Reconstruction Fund inaugurates Derna’s 2,000 housing project

Two Libyans and five expatriates detained for deliberately falsifying civil status data in Tobruk

However, in a counter offensive during the day, the LNA are reported to have taken the Kasarat area in east Derna. Sources close to the LNA say that they are now preparing a “massive” attack on the town from east, west and south.

The LNA had already been mounting a blockade, although it was not wholly effective. People were able to get in and out. Rifadi told a Tobruk radio station today that that would all now end and that the siege would be total. Nothing would get in or out.

Ironically, he was injured in a car crash later today on the road between Tamimi, south-east of Derna, and Marj. He is reported to have suffered a broken leg and was taken to the hospital in Beida for treatment. Two guards travelling with him are said to have suffered minor injuries but are otherwise in good health.

 

Tags: DernafeaturedLibyaSalem RifadiTobruk

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Siala says Serraj did invite Italian warships into Libyan waters

Sirte's new Gulf power station the latest to be plundered

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.