No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Jufra takeover welcomed in east of country

byMichel Cousins
June 4, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Jamie Prentis.

Tunis, 4 June 2017:

Political figures from the east of the country have lauded the Libyan National Army’s (LNA) rapid takeover of central Libya’s Jufra district and its strategically important airbase. Rebel Presidency Council member Ali Qatrani led the plaudits saying that the complete liberation of Libya of terrorists was “looming on the horizon”.

He also thanked the work of “loyalists” in the region who supported the LNA, a reference to the armed Jufra locals who fought alongside Khalifa Hafter’s troops.

Local member of the House of Representatives (HoR) Ismail Al-Sharif has been quoted saying that six young men from Waddan were killed fighting alongside the LNA against the Benghazi Defence Brigade and Chadian mercenaries on Saturday.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

House of Representatives President Ageela Saleh again reiterated his support for the LNA in a statement praising what had been achieved in Jufra district. They were working, he said, to rid Libya of terrorism and stabilise the country.

He condemned the use of foreign forces by the Benghazi Defence Brigades, describing them criminals and “agents”. Most are believed to have been Chadian mercenaries.

Ironcially, the LNA has also been accused of using Chadian as well as Sudanese mercenaries.

The second deputy HoR president, Ahmaid Huma, also thanked locals for supporting the LNA as it consolidated its control of Jufra. He also called on the people of Jufra to unify and reject their differences in order to “purge” the region of terrorism. He nonetheless

Numerous civil society organisations as well as security bodies in the east have similarly issued statements welcoming the takeover.

The comments came after LNA chief Hafter “saluted” his forces for their work in taking Jufra airbase and the surrounding towns. He also thanked locals who fought alongside the LNA.

In Waddan, a local activist told the Libya Herald that the townsfolk were extremely happy that the militants had been expelled and the army taken control.

She explained that there had been some problems in the town, such as the banks having no cash, but that it had been peaceful until Chadian fighters arrived three days ago. Immediately, she said, armed locals started fighting them to try and force them out. That finally only happened when the LNA arrived.

Tags: JufraLibya

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

Zawia assassination triggers fighting in town

Contending LIA chairman Breish slams Serraj and his LIA appointee

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.