No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Clashes reignite in Zawia as both sides reinforce

byMichel Cousins
June 6, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tunis, 6 June 2017:

Zawia settled into an uneasy calm today after clashes reignited last night between rival Ahneish and Khadrawi militias in the centre of the town. However, despite attempts by tribal elders to mediate a ceasefire, there are fears of fresh fighting. Both sides have been bringing in reinforcements in the expectation of a major battle.

The tension was sparked by the murder of one of the Ahneish commanders in a hail of bullets early on Sunday morning. In the subsequent fighting, Ibrahim Ahneish, the clan’s chief military leader, was also killed. He has now been replaced by Mahmoud Bilghait, but the Ahneish want revenge. There has been talk of them planning to take over the entire centre of the town.

For its part, the local Red Crescent has meanwhile announced it has helped transfer intensive care cases from Zawia hospital to to Sabratha hospital in case the fighting escalates further. Zawia hospital staff have also been evacuated to safer areas. The Red Crescent also said team had been to Jamal Abdel Nasser Street and part of Omar Al-Mukhtar Street to provide aid and to evacuate any families that want to leave the area.

RELATED POSTS

Presidency Council Head commits to transparency, disclosure, oversight – cutting off system of bribery, brokerage, and unregulated spending

Zawia airport construction starts – under the NDA and to be implemented by a Turkish company

Meanwhile, in a separate development, Zawia municipal council has accused the Central Bank of Libya (CBL) of discrimination. On Sunday, the CBL in Tripoli distributed LD 17 million to banks in Khoms. Zawia says that that it too suffers from a cash shortage and has double the population of Khoms. The municipality claimed it was being overlooked and the CBL was unfairly favouring Khoms.

Tags: LibyaZawia

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Militants blow up historic Suq Al-Hout buildings to block LNA tanks

Militants blow up historic Suq Al-Hout buildings to block LNA tanks

Benghazi’s rebuilt Venice Street to reopen after Eid

Benghazi's rebuilt Venice Street to reopen after Eid

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.