No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Manchester-born bomber of Libyan parents named as Salman Abedi

bySami Zaptia
May 24, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Manchester-born bomber of Libyan parents named as Salman Abedi

IS claims responsibility for Manchester Arena pop concert suicide bombing (Social Media).

By Libya Herald reporters.

IS claims responsibility for Manchester Arena pop concert suicide bombing (Social Media).
IS claims responsibility for Manchester Arena pop concert suicide bombing (Social Media)

London, 23 May 2017:

British police have today named the man suspected of the Manchester Arena suicide bombing as Manchester-born Salman Ramadan Abedi of Libyan parents. The 22-year-old died detonating the bomb and is one of the bodies awaiting official identifcation by the coroner, police said. Islamic State has since claimed responsibility for the terror attack.

Abedi lived in the south of Manchester where his house was today raided by police. Neighbours told British media that there was nothing about his behaviour or personality that indicated he was an extremist and that Abedi ‘‘kept himself to himself’’.

At the time of writing, the terror attack had led to the death of 22 people and 59 injuries. Of the dead, 12 are under the age of 16.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

British media reports that the suicide bomber’s family are Libyan refugees who had lived in the UK for many years. His father, Ramadan, had been a well-known member of the local mosques and local community. An unnamed 23-year old who lives in the south of Manchester has been arrested in connection with the bmbing.

Abedi detonated the bomb in the foyer of the pop concert’s 21,000 capacity Manchester Arena just after the pop artist Ariana Grande had finished performing and left the stage at 10.30 pm UK time.

He had two siblings, a brother and a sister who were also Manchester-born. It is reported that they are back in Libya with their parents. His father, Ramadan Abedi, is also known as Abu Ismael. Salman has been reported to have recently returned from a trip to Libya.

Analysts are awaiting the official release of the spelling of Abedi’s name in Arabic. If Abedi is indeed of Libyan origin, it is likely that his family may have roots in the east of the country as Abedi is a corruption of Obaidi of the Obaidat tribe centred around the Tobruk and Guba areas of eastern Libya.

Sources from Libya suspect that his family originated from Guba from where, coincidently, House of Representatives president Ageela Saleh who represents the Guba constituency, hails.

Sources have told  the Libya Herald that Salman’s father Ramadan is a Cyrenaica federalist, wanting decentralisation and more powers for a regional eastern authority, but is not understood to hold any extremist religious views. The same was said of Salman himself.

The city of Manchester is known to be a centre for one of the biggest concentrations of Libyan diaspora in the UK and worldwide.

Tags: featuredManchester ArenaSalman Abedisuicide bomber

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Shock at revelation that Manchester suicide killer was Libyan

Manchester bomber's brother and father arrested in Tripoli

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Aldabaiba calls on CBL Governor to halt all 2026 project spending across Libya – until the newly US-brokered unified spending agreement is adhered to

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Kufra airport activates runway and taxiway lighting enabling nighttime flights

Newly created Libyan United Airlines reveals logo – stresses it is a privately owned airline

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.