No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Beida suicides prompt panic and incomprehension

byMichel Cousins
April 15, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Tripoli, 15 April 2017:

There is growing incredulity across Libya at what is being seen as an unusual wave of suicides in the country, particularly in Beida. On social media and among some officials, it is even being suggested that the suicides are the result of demonic forces linked to game called “Charlie Charlie”.

The allegation started after it was revealed that six people, mostly teenagers, had committed suicide in the town in the past three weeks and that another four had attempted to kill themselves.

Such has been the panic that there have been reports that the Beida-based interim government’s interior ministry has banned the game, calling it Satanic and a threat to national security.

RELATED POSTS

Spanish visiting medical team perform joint operations in Beida, US-based consultant visiting in Zintan

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

The reports, however, have not been confirmed and appear to be part of the same frenzy that has suggested that a game is behind the suicides.

Rumours of similar suicides in Derna, which have caused panic in local schools, have meanwhile had to be denied by the local authorities there.

In a bid to inject some sanity into the issue, the head of the information at the interim government’s health ministry, while confirming the number of suicides, said that the only thing in common in all cases was that they had hanged themselves and that there was no evidence to back the rumours. Moataz Trabelsi also said that forensic reports showed that those who died had not taken any drugs. A full investigation had been launched into the suicides, he added.

As in other Arab countries, suicide is normally a taboo subject in Libya and cases are rarely reported. As a result statistics are hard to come by.

Effectively confirming this, Trabelsi has said the families of both those who killed themselves and those who attempted suicide had refused to cooperate with investigations and did do not want to talk about what had happened.

Now with the frenzy, however, suicides are making news. In addition to the latest in Beida, that of a 20-year-old male, another man was reported to have hanged himself in Tripoli’s Bab Ben Ghashir district yesterday.

As for the Charlie Charlie game, there have been claims elsewhere in the world of suicides as a result of youngsters playing it, although these turned out to be a hoax. Nonetheless, over the past year, it has been denounced by a number of Christian fundamentalists as Satanic and the cause of demonic possession. 

Tags: BeidaCharlie CharlieLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Southern fighting imperils all that has been achieved, says Serraj

Algerian nurse kidnapped in Misrata, family fears by IS

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benina Airport installs first-ever ILS/DME Navigational Aids System by Spain’s Sky Navigation Systems

Sirte Oil Company completes drilling of horizontal well C345H in the Ziltan field with production rate of 2,000 barrels per day

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.