No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tripoli fighting spreads tonight

byNigel Ash
March 15, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Tripoli fighting spreads tonight

Tripoli's Marriott hotel after today's RPG strike (Photo: social media)

By Moutaz Ali.

Tripoli's Marriott hotel after today's RPG strike (Photo: social media)
Tripoli’s Marriott hotel after today’s RPG strike (Photo: social media)

Tripoli, 14 March 2017:

The children’s ward of Tripoli’s Hadba Hospital was hit this evening as clashes moved to the area around the Rixos complex from the capital’s business district shot up earlier in the day. It is not yet known how many people were hurt in the hospital. The missile that hit building started a fire which was brought under control by staff.

The battle is primarily between Tripoli residents backing local militias against hardline Misratan and Amazigh forces allied to Khalifa Ghwell.

Late this evening Jamhouria Street resident Yasin Al-Zaidi told the Libya Herald: “We are hearing the terrific sound of heavy weapons coming from Bab Ben Gashir, next to the Rixos hotel.”

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

This afternoon missiles thought to be RPGs hit the Waha Oil’s HQ in the Bulayla Taower and also the nearby Marriott Hotel. The windows on the 19th floor of the Waha building were damaged but Salah Mahishi, a technician in the tower told this newspaper that there had been no casualties. It is understood that staff were evacuated immediately the fighting began.

More streets and roads have been blocked this evening including those around Rixos hotel at Bab Ben Ghashir, Hadba central hospital and Hay Damashq. The highway between Zanata district in the east until Ghut Shaal in the west has also been obstructed with barricades.

“Most of the streets leading to our home have been blocked,” said Hadba resident Asma Mousa,  “My brother has only just managed to arrive home after spending ages looking for a route to reach us.”

Many residents have not dared leave their homes. “Clashes sometimes calm down but then they flare up again. Many of our streets are blocked as armed men are spreading out everywhere,” one resident told us by telephone.

The Tripoli Revolutionaries’ Brigade which is playing a prominent role in the battle put out a statement this evening insisting that it is not acting against Misrata but “against criminals, whatever their origins”.

The statement continued: “We deny all reports circulating in the social media that we are targeting properties related to Misratan-based families in Tripoli as we are only taking part in implementing a plan which aims to secure the Hay Andalus and Gurji districts.”

Tomorrow, many schools and governmental offices in Tripoli will be closed because of the deteriorating security situation.

Thus far there has been no comment from the Presidency Council on the collapse in the capital’s security.

 

 

Tags: featuredfightingLibyaTripoli

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Khalifa Ghwell’s National Salvation Government loses its Rixos HQ

Khalifa Ghwell's National Salvation Government loses its Rixos HQ

Libyan cultural show in Tunis viewed as success – calls for more such events

Libyan cultural show in Tunis viewed as success – calls for more such events

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.