No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Some 240 migrants feared lost off Libya coast

byMichel Cousins
March 24, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Some 240 migrants feared lost off Libya coast

The empty remains of an inflatable (Photo:Pro-Activa Open Arms)

By Alessandra Bocchi.

The empty remains of an inflatable (Photo:Pro-Activa Open Arms)
The empty remains of an inflatable (Photo: Pro-Activa Open Arms)

Tunis, 24 March 2016:

As many as 240 migrants are feared to have drowned around 15 kilometres off the Libyan coast north of Sabratha after a Spanish aid organisation found five bodies in the water and two capsized inflatable boats yesterday. A third inflatable is reported to have disappeared.

The number of those who may have perished in the tragedy is a guestimate based on the boats’ capacities and the fact that it is not known for smugglers to dispatch anything other than vessels that are full to overflowing. The two boats that were found are said to be capable of holding 100 people in normal circumstances.

Spanish Rescue organisation Proactiva Open Arms could not specify when the tragedy occurred although it thought to have happened within the previous 24 hours.

RELATED POSTS

Three million illegal immigrants in Libya, 75 % of whom are families, constitute ”settlement” which Libyans reject – illegally transfer US$ 7 billion annually: Interior Minister Trabelsi

IOM identifies 894,890 migrants in Libya from 45 nationalities in May-July 2025 reporting period – 18 percent up on 2024

The five bodies found yesterday morning – all of males aged between 16 and 25 years – were taken to the Sicilian port of Catania.

Proactiva spokesperson Laura Lanuza added that they had looked for a third boat after being informed of its presence by the Italian coast guard, but had been unable to locate it.

According to the International Organization for Migration, over 20,000 migrants arrived in Italy this year with anther 559 people said to have died or vanished on the journey. This is up from the same period last year. In the first quarter of 2016, the figures were 19,000 safe arrivals and 350 deaths. The number of those rescued while heading to Italy is also up according to the Italian authorities, from 16,200 for the first eleven weeks of 2017, compared to 11,900 for the same period in 2016.

With the start of Spring and calmer seas, the number of migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean has risen. Some 3,000 were saved off the Libyan coast in some separate operations coordinated by the Italian coastguard on the 19 March alone.

Tags: featuredItalian Coast GuardLibyamigrants

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
UN initiates process to bring Libya human rights abusers to justice

UN initiates process to bring Libya human rights abusers to justice

NOC must have exclusive stewardship of Libya's oil say ambassadors

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.