No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misrata says relations with PC frozen; road to Tripoli is blockaded

byNigel Ash
March 19, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Misrata says relations with PC frozen; road to Tripoli is blockaded

By Libya Herald reporters.

Start of Tripoli protests in Algeria Squre (Photo- social media)
Start of Tripoli protests in Algeria Square yesterday (Photo: social media)

Tripoli, 18 March 2017:

There have been furious protests from Misrata at the belief that the city is being demonised by various bodies in Tripoli, and in particular the hostility shown to the city by demonstrators yesterday in Tripoli’s Algeria and later Martyrs’ Squares.

In statement, Misratan members of the House of Representatives and of the State Council said they were suspending all contacts with the Presidency Council (PC) until there had been an apology for the inflammatory statements from the crowds yesterday, before they were driven from Martyrs’ Square by gunfire.

The Misratan lawmakers pointed out that the PC had condemned the violence used against the protestors, backing their freedom of speech but had not condemned what they actually said.

RELATED POSTS

Third edition of Banking and Business Technology Forum kicked off in Misrata under patronage of Central Bank of Libya

59 containers loaded with boats seized in Misrata suspected of being intended for use in illegal immigration operations

“What happened yesterday is not freedom of speech but an incitement of hatred and violence against the city of Misrata,” they said.

“We suspend all our contacts with the Presidency Council until it responds to our demands. We are holding it responsible for any violent actions that might occur against Misrata because of their statement.”

The Presidency Council’s statement had condemned the attack on the protesters, saying it was a violation of freedom of speech, and ordering an investigation by the the Attorney General and the arrest of the attackers.

Misrata municipal council has also condemned both the criticism of the city in Tripoli’s Martyrs’ Square and the subsequent PC statement for equating freedom of speech with “hate speech” against Misrata. It too said it held the PC fully responsible for the deterioration of the situation in the county.

Separately, there have been public protests at what happened in the capital and at other perceived anti-Misrata moves there. A substantial group of Misratan revolutionaries and their supporters gathered at the Dafniya checkpoint west of the city, on the road to Tripoli, and forced its closure. In a statement broadcast on the grand mufti’s Tanasuh TV, they demanded the  mobilisation of Misratan “revolutionaries” against the “conspiracy” in Tripoli, which they claimed was being run by followers of Khalifa Hafter.

The statements by the Misratan lawmakers and the municipal council are seen as not only a response to growing local anger that the city is being vilified elsewhere in the country, but also a move to prevent the more hardline forces in the city from using it to gain support and power.

On Friday evening, local hardliners attacked the council offices demanding the resignation of the mayor and councillors. In its statement criticising the PC, Misrata council also condemned the attack, describing those involved as criminals driven by ideology and linked to “external parties seeking power”.

In a related development, PC deputy chairman Ahmed Maetig, from Misrata, has cut short his trip to the United States because of the fighting in the capital. PC head Faiez Serraj has also cancelled his visit to Italy on Monday. He had been intending to join a summit of Mediterranean countries to discuss limiting migration.

Meanwhile, the 218 TV Channel has announced that its journalists  abducted last night were released today. The station had quickly withdrawn an early statement saying three of their reporters had been kidnapped.

It is clear that the journalist were indeed taken but it is not clear how and why they were released so quickly.

Tags: featuredLibyaMisrataprotest

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Kobler says he believes most Libyans still back the LPA

Kobler says he believes most Libyans still back the LPA

LNA soldiers accused of "heinous" war crimes after Ganfouda victory

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.