No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

BRSC says one of its commanders killed in Ganfouda siege

byNigel Ash
February 22, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
BRSC says one of its commanders killed in Ganfouda siege

BRSC said field commander Younis Al-Louhichi died in Ganfouda airstrike (Photo:social media)

By Libya Herald reporters.

BRSC said field commander Younis Al-Louhichi died in Ganfouda airstrike (Photo:social media)
BRSC said field commander Younis Al-Louhaishi died in a Ganfouda airstrike (Photo: Social media)

Benghazi, 21 February 2017:

A senior  militant has been killed in the siege of Ganfouda, the Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council (BRSC) has admitted.

Younis Al-Louhaishi, a field commanderm died in an airforce strike on the remaining positions in the “12 Buildings” complex, said the BRSC in a social media post today.

Libyan National Army jets and helicopter gunships continue to pound the apartment blocks where BRSC fighters are holed up alongside terrorists from IS and Ansar Al-Sharia.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

Their continued resistance is a rising embarrassment for LNA commanders, one of whom announced four weeks ago that Ganfouda was entirely in the army’s hands.

There appears to have been some disagreement as to how to tackle the “12 Buildings” siege. Perhaps sensitive to concerns of the likes of UNSMIL at the fate of civilians believed still to be with the militants, it had been indicated that the terrorists would be starved out. Yet the fighting has gone on with two more severely damaged apartment blocks reportedly being overrun yesterday by the LNA. This means the militants are now holding just six. But that fighting cost the army three more dead and an unknown number of wounded.

Meanwhile, today has been the second during which LNA artillery and rockets have been hitting the downtown terrorist enclaves of Suq Al-Hout and Sabri.

Last Friday the BRSC celebrated the six anniversary of the Revolution by putting out a video from Suq Al-Hout shot in the district’s Tahrir Square. In this a spokesman vowed, at some length, to fight to the death. There was no sign of any Ansar or IS banners.  One army source says these two terrorist groups are still in control of the larger Sabri district.

Tags: Ansar Al-ShairaBenghaziBRSCfeaturedGanfoudaISLibyaSabriSuq Al-HoutYounis Al-Louhichi

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Kobler visits migrant detention centre in Tripoli

Kobler visits migrant detention centre in Tripoli

NOC’s Sanalla signs deal with Russia’s Rosneft and its powerful boss

NOC's Sanalla signs deal with Russia's Rosneft and its powerful boss

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.