No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Radical Saudi cleric prevented from speaking in Tobruk

byNigel Ash
February 7, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
Radical Saudi cleric prevented from speaking in Tobruk

Omar

By Jamie Prentis.

Omar
Osama Al-Otaini (Photo: Social media)

Tunis, 7 February 2017:

Tobruk locals have forced the closure of the local Awqaf and Islamic affairs office in the town in protest at the visit of a controversial, radical Saudi cleric.

Osama Al-Otaibi, also known as Abu Omar, was due to give a series of religious and ‘awareness’ lectures there today.

On his social media page Otaibi confirmed the postponement of his talks in Tobruk but said they would be rescheduled.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba calls on CBL Governor to halt all 2026 project spending across Libya – until the newly US-brokered unified spending agreement is adhered to

Wahda bank to introduce ‘‘Edei’’ – the first palm-scan payment service in Libya

Otaibi arrived in Libya for a preaching tour on 8 January at the invitation of the general command of the Libyan National Army, in other words Field Marshal Khalifa Hafter.  The tour has so far taken in Ajdabiya and Beida. He was also invited to visit Zintan by the LNA’s western region commander, Brigadier Idris Madi.

Despite the anti-Islamist approach of Hafter and the LNA, the Madkhali branch of Salafism, which Otaibi espouses and which calls on the faithful to support their Muslim governments, is said to be finding increasing favour with the military leadership in the east.

The presence of the radical cleric has, however, been hotly debated by Libyans on social media.  While highly critical of the Muslim Brotherhood and the so-called Islamic State, he also attacks sufis and moderates, which goes again the grain for most Libyans, especially in the east.

It been reported that he also praised the recent confiscation of books by security forces in Marj. The seizure was widely condemned both in Libya and elsewhere as setting a dangerous precedent.

Otaibi, whose curriculum vitae says he fought in Afghanistan in 1991/2, has undertaken a number of preaching tours around the world, including five times to the US as well as to Canada.

sdf
Supposed invitation to Otaibi from Brigadier Idris Madi 

 

Tags: book seizurefeaturedGeneral Authority of Awqaf and Islamic AffairHafterLibyaMarjOsama Al-OtaibiTobruk

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

New Sebha clinic being built with donations not government money

Infighting and interference hamper Tripoli CBL says former spokesman

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.