No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Nazhuri bans women flying from Labraq without male guardian

byMichel Cousins
February 19, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Nazhuri bans women flying from Labraq without male guardian

Nazhuri women order

By Libya Herald reporter.

Nazhuri women order
The order from Maj.-Gen. Nazhuri banning single women from travelling

Benghazi, 19 February 2017:

Major-General Abdul Razzaq Al-Nazhouri, the Libyan National Army’s chief of staff and military commander between Ban Jawad and Derna has ordered passport control at Labraq airport to prevent women under 60 years of ago from flying out unless accompanied by a male guardian.

He says it is prevent “the negatives aspects of Libyan women traveling in foreign countries”. Officials at the airport say they are now implementing the order.

It has, however, resulted in surprise and resentment in the east of the country. “People are feeling very angry about this”, said one Benghazi female resident who until has been a firm supporter of the LNA. “Friends say that they did not support the revolution and then LNA for this to happen”, she added.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

A male social activist from Benghazi, also till now a Hafter supporter, blamed the field marshal for the move. “It would not have happened without his approval.”

Despite the LNA’s claim that it is fighting Islamists, the move is being seen as a sign of a rapidly growing Islamisation of the LNA itself. Part of this was last month’s invitation from it to the Saudi radical and controversial Salfist cleric Osama Al-Otaibi to visit Libya. Otaibi’s influence is seen as being behind the move.

At a stroke, it shifts Libya into the camp of the most hardline Islamic states worldwide. Even in Saudi Arabia, women can travel by themselves, although they still need to provide evidence of permission from their father, husband, brother or other male member of the family.

Ironically, because Nazhuri’s remit does not extend to Tobruk, staff at the airport there say they have not been given any similar order and so women are travelling normally from there.  They can also cross the Egyptian border by road independently.

Tags: Abdul Razzaq Al-NazhourifeaturedLabraqLibyaLibyan National Army

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
Navy seizes South Korean ship, claims it was in military exclusion zone

Navy seizes South Korean ship, claims it was in military exclusion zone

NGOs' migrant rescue role comes under Italian spotlight

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.