No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hafter says LNA controls 95 percent of the country

byNigel Ash
February 6, 2017
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Hafter says LNA controls 95 percent of the country

Khalifa Hafter talking to French TV channel JDD (screen grab)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Khalifa Hafter talking to French TV channel JDD (screen grab)
Khalifa Hafter talking to French TV channel JDD (screen grab)

Tunis, 5 February 2017:

Khalifa Hafter claims that the Libyan National Army (LNA) now controls 95 percent of the country. He also expressed the hope that America’s new president Donald Trump would join the Russians and lift the arms embargo so equipping the Libyan National Army to fight their common terrorist enemy.

The head of the armed forces appointed by the House of Representatives stated both in an interview with French TV station JDD. The LNA, he declared, controlled all of the east and the south and a large part of the west of Libya.

Derna, the remaining militants’ holdouts in Benghazi, Sebha and the many towns along the western coast from Misrata to Sabratha and beyond were evidently forgotten.

RELATED POSTS

Libya Development and Reconstruction Fund signs ”strategic agreements” with ”several large” US Companies

Libya Development and Reconstruction Fund signs contract with Turkey’s Ankamenia for maintenance of Benghazi University’s medical colleges

As to those towns, he said there no wish to strike at any Libyan town, be it Misrata or any other.

“We do not wish to deviate from our main end,” he said, “which is to fight Al-Qaeda, the Islamic State and the old Libyan Islamic Fighting Group who are still under the control of Abdulhakim Belhaj. We are going to pursue these groups that want to prejudice the future of the Libyan people. Once they have got out of the country, we will leave them in peace”.

Hafter said that the fighting against terrorists in Benghazi was almost over. Unable to sustain themselves, little remained of the groups. They were surrounded. They had no other choices but to surrender or die.

Speaking of the oil crescent area, Hafter said it was entirely protected by the LNA . However, he added that militias which were supported by bodies “with specific agendas,” had tried to launch attacks. “They bumped into our military forces who made them backtrack.”

Nevertheless, he insisted, the army was constantly on the alert. “If they try to come back, we will push them back again with more firmness.”

The interviewer quizzed Hafter about his relations with Russia and his visits to Moscow. He responded that Libya had historic links with Russia.

“And these relations naturally comprise contracts and some agreements which bind us. We are waiting the activation of these agreements and contracts so the army can benefit from them. We hope also that Russia will join in the lifting of the unjust [arms] embargo which is imposed on us”.

He added: “We are hopeful also that the United States will join in the lifting of the embargo and in the struggle against terrorism, if one is to believe what Mr Trump has said.”

But since he was speaking to a French audience, Hafter majored on his links with Paris and French help against terrorists in Benghazi. Libya, he said, owed France a debt of gratitude that it would never forget.  Libyans always said that one found out who one’s friends were when you really needed them.

“She has really helped us in a way that no other country has,” said Hafter. “She has provided us with information from military reconnaissance and her security experts, who have helped us very much.” This had been of enormous benefit.

He added that he had been profoundly saddened at the loss of three French security personnel in a Benghazi helicopter crash last July.

“But the the French government has not abandoned us,” he said. “They rapidly came up with other alternatives. It stands to reason that we will not forget this wonderful work.”

He added that France had not become involved in sending any troops because the LNA had no need of reinforcements on the ground.

Hafter said that in the near future Libya would start to rebuild and there would be opportunities for France and other advanced countries in the provision of know-how and industrial expertise.

Libya, he predicted, would be open for business

Tags: featuredFranceHafterJDDLibyaLNARussiaTrumpTV interviewUSA

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Fresh fighting in Janzour as ceasefire breaks down

Fresh fighting in Janzour as ceasefire breaks down

Breish returns to Tripoli LIA HQ after court voids PC/GNA appointment-employees refute forced militia entry

Breish returns to Tripoli LIA HQ after court voids PC/GNA appointment-employees refute forced militia entry

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.