No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

World Bank paints gloomy Libyan economic picture

byNigel Ash
October 20, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
World Bank paints gloomy Libyan economic picture

By Libya Herald reporters.

iu

Tripoli, 20 October 2016:

The World Bank’s latest report on Libya could hardly be more gloomy. Everyone, including the government is running out of money.   In the first seven months of 2016,  state income at LD 3.2 billion was just a tenth of what it was over the same period last year.

Declining oil prices and low production have created deficits which have seen foreign reserves halved in just three years, from $107.6 billion in 2013 to an expected $43 billion by the end of this year.  In the black market the dinar has lost 73 percent of its value against the dollar.

RELATED POSTS

The Ministry of Health and the World Bank meet to enhance cooperation on health projects and service development

Tripoli based Libyan government signs MoU with World Bank

In the first half of this year, the World Bank calculates that, pushed by shortages, food prices have increased by 31 percent. This effectively negated a part of government subsidies, which fell more than 25 percent but nevertheless still accounted for 18.4 percent of Gross Domestic Product.

The tottering budget was also helped by a fall in the cost of imported fuel products but it remains burdened with a state sector wage bill which consumed 61 percent of GDP.  The good news is that this bill fell by 8.7 percent thanks to the clean-up of payrolls removing duplicate or even multiple payments by matching wage packets to the new national identification numbers.

Government spending on capital projects has fallen to a seventh of the figure before the Revolution. It would appear, though the World Bank does not say so, that much of what little investment that has occurred has been laid out on the repair and maintenance of existing infrastructure.

The Bank says that the budget deficit of 69 percent of GDP remains very high. The government has funded this by borrowing mostly from the Central Bank with lesser sums from commercial banks. Before 2011, the state was a net lender. Now Libya’s domestic debt to GDP ratio stands at 110 percent.

The World Bank’s outlook for Libya hinges, it says, on the assumption that the House of Representatives will endorse the Government of National Accord by the end of the year. This would in turn lead to a restoration of security and the launching of projects to rebuild social and economic infrastructure.  Because of the time needed to restore what is says are the heavily-damaged oil facilities, the Bank believes it will take four years before oil output reaches pre-Revolution levels.

Under this scenario it says it would expect foreign reserves to grow by an average of around $27 million a year between 2017 and 2019, equivalent to 13 months’ import cover.

However it warns: “Unless immediate and target action is taken to address the humanitarian crisis, the situation is unlikely to improve. The situation in Libya is such that simply relying on a slightly improved macro outlook is unlikely to bring about significant change”

It adds:“The country needs humanitarian aid and specific programmes to address the destruction and lack of basic services that a large part of the population faces”.

Tags: featuredLibyaWorld Bank

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
More BM dead and wounded as the Sirte terrorist battle goes on

More BM dead and wounded as the Sirte terrorist battle goes on

Libyan Airlines boss kidnapped in Tripoli

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

LBC and Libyan African Council for Sub-Saharan Countries held its first official meeting – an action plan to enhance Libya’s economic presence in Africa is agreed

LIDCO continues construction on 8,500 car multistorey carpark as part of Tripoli Gate 1 Project

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.