No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sea-Watch wants Libya’s EU coastguard training reviewed after fatal incident

byNigel Ash
October 26, 2016
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Sea-Watch wants Libya’s EU coastguard training reviewed after fatal incident

A shot taken of the Libyan vessel after the migrant boat is boarded (Photo:Sea-Watch)

By Libya Herald reporters.

A shot taken of the Libyan vessel after the migrant boat is boarded (Photo:Sea-Watch)
A shot taken of the Libyan vessel after the migrant boat is boarded (Photo:Sea-Watch)

Tripoli, 25 October 2016:

The migrant rescue charity Sea-Watch has warned the EU to “reflect” on its planned training of Libyan coastguards following what it insists was a coastguard attack last week on one of its operations.This led to the drowning of up to 20 migrants from around 160 on an inflatable raft.

Navy spokesman Colonel Ayyub Gassem has denied that any coastguard vessel was involved. Pictures published by Sea-Watch show the intruding vessel sporting a decal on the rear superstructure . It does not appear to be the normal design for the Libyan navy seal.

seal_of_the_libyan_navy-svg
The normal seal of the Libyan Navy

Sea-Watch asserts that the attack was a blatant violation of international law, created danger and mass panic, and that the coastguard failed to carry out its search and rescue duty.

RELATED POSTS

Three million illegal immigrants in Libya, 75 % of whom are families, constitute ”settlement” which Libyans reject – illegally transfer US$ 7 billion annually: Interior Minister Trabelsi

IOM identifies 894,890 migrants in Libya from 45 nationalities in May-July 2025 reporting period – 18 percent up on 2024

“In light of this incident, ” says Sea-Watch, “we demand the EU to reflect upon the planned training of the Libyan Coastguard, when this includes self-styled authorities operating in a manner that represents a blatant violation of international maritime and human rights law”.

Sea-Watch insists that the incident involved a Libyan coastguard patrol boat with some 15 armed men in combat fatigues including one manning a deck-mounted machine gun. But it says that no shots were fired.

Four days ago the Libyan craft approached the rescue site at high speed creating a wake as two Sea-Watch RIBs were about  to distribute life jackets to the migrants. The charity boats pulled back to the shelter of their mother vessel. Communications by wireless and megaphone from the Sea-Watch were hampered by the fact that no one on the rescue boat spoke Arabic.

After the Libyan craft had backed up to the migrant boat, Sea-Watch said that one of the Libyans boarded it from the prow forcing his way through the passengers, kicking and stepping over people. He reached the outboard motor, which he used to bring the inflatable alongside his vessel. The charity claimed that this man was striking migrants with an object that could not be identified.

Sea-Watch has published a detailed report into the incident four days ago, which includes the rescue ship Sea-Watch 2’s radio and chart logs. These appear to show that at the time of the incident, the vessel and the estimated 130 migrants it was trying to rescue from an outboard-powered grey inflatable were 14.5 nautical miles off the coast. Worldwide, territorial waters are normally considered to extend for 12 nautical miles.

“The general attitude of the crew aboard the Libyan Coastguard vessel is non collaborative and rather rough” the Sea-Watch 2 log recorded, continuing “The Libyan Coastguard shouts the words ‘migrants’, then repeatedly ‘Out, out!’, accompanied by hand gesture, easily interpretable as a request to leave and move out of the rescue area”.

Guided by controllers in Rome who had picked up a distress signal from the migrants, the Sea-Watch 2 had reached the migrants at 2.30 am and the Libyan vessel appeared some 20 minutes later.

The migrants panicked when their craft was moved alongside the Libyan vessel. One leapt into the water and was picked up by a rescue RIB.

Since the news of the incident broke, there has been speculation that the Libyans were trying to recover the outboard motor. However a Sea-Watch member  has told the Libya Herald that the engine was not taken. But it appeared that one of the inflatable tubes began to deflate and the craft foundered, throwing everyone into the water.

At this point, the charity says the Libyan vessel left the scene at high speed with all its lights turned off. It was watched on the rescue ship’s radar to make sure it did not return.

The Sea-Watch 2 then resumed the rescue and pulled 124 from the water as well as recovering four bodies. Crew members thought that as many as 16 more migrants were unaccounted for. The vessel searched the area until after 5 am and then withdrew with the survivors.

Continue Reading
Tags: featuredLibyaLibyan coastguardmigrantsSea-Watch

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Massive LD 50-billion development of Tobruk unveiled; railway to Sudan to be built

Row between Serraj and the CBL's Elkaber deepens as public anger rises

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.