No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Political parties round on Sewehli’s State Council

byNigel Ash
September 24, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Abdelhakim Belhaj (Photo: The Guardian)
Abdelhakim Belhaj (above) and Mahmoud Jibril both deplore the State Council’s latest move (Photo: The Guardian)

Tripoli, 24 September 2016:

Two political parties headed by Mahmoud Jibril and Abdul-Hakim Belhaj have rounded on the State Council and joined UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler in condemning its attempt to usurp the powers of the House of Representatives.

on Wednesday the State Council announced that the HoR no longer existed and that it was taking over full legislative powers.

Jibril’s National Forces Alliance and Belhaj’s Al-Watan party have both criticised the move by the State Council presided over by Abdulrahman Sewehli. The NFA said that the action was a clear violation of the Libyan Political Agreement which, it added, “we have never considered as a way out of the crisis, but entertained the hope to end the Libyan bloodshed”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The NFA said that it took the view that State Council’s move indicated that the Dialogue in its current form was beginning to lose its usefulness.  It proposed instead that talks be started with “the real actors” to find realistic solution to the major problems that were hindering the establishment of proper state foundations.  It said that Jibril had been in contact with Kobler to press him to take action.

It added that the NFA considered the State Council, with its purely consultative role, to be ‘unborn and illegitimate’ until the House of Representatives had amended the Constitutional Declaration to incorporate the Libyan Political Agreement.

Belhaj’s also Al-Watan party meanwhile backed Kobler’ condemnation of the move by Sewehli and the State Council. However it also noted that it was ten months since the Libyan Political Agreement  had been signed and the HoR had still not held a vote on it.

Justice and Construction party leader  Mohamed Sawan was less specific in his criticism of the State Council. He argued that all those opposed to the LPA were incapable of offering any alternative. “ This leaves the country open to the unknown, to chaos and wars”.

It was he said, the responsibility of everyone,  particularly the HoR,  to shoulder their responsibilities and make the LPA work.

Tags: Abdulrahman SewehliAl-WatanbelhajfeaturedHoRJibrilKoblerLibyaLPANFAState Council

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Serraj waiting for a Hafter meeting

Serraj waiting for a Hafter meeting

Hungarian PM wants monster refugee camp in Libya, calls for new Libyan government

Hungarian PM wants monster refugee camp in Libya, calls for new Libyan government

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.