No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

EU to postpone Libyan coast guard training

byNigel Ash
September 27, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

2013 EUBAM training for the Libyan Coastguard rescue (Photo: Libya Herald)
EUBAM’s 2013 training for the Libyan Coastguard (Photo: Libya Herald)

Tunis, 26 September 2016:

The EU plan to train up to 100 Libyan coast guards is reportedly on hold because the Presidency Council has still to choose any candidates.

Diplomats close to the project to enable the Libyan navy to better tackle migrant traffickers told AFP the delay had arisen over concerns about the vetting of potential trainees.

The coast guard course, part of the European Naval Forces’ Operation Sophia was approved in May and the first recruits were due to start training in Italy by October.

RELATED POSTS

1st Libya People Leadership in Energy Forum to be held in Tripoli from 9-10 February

Libyan Indian cooperation to qualify national cadres in Quantum Computing and Artificial Intelligence

At the time EU foreign affairs chief Federica Mogherini said that the courses had been requested by PC chairman Faiez Serraj as a matter of urgency. Since then, according to AFP’s sources, no trainee list has been put forward. All candidates would need security vetting which could take up to a month. Thus there is now no way the programme can start before the end of October at the earliest.

Outside states are cautious about offering training. While the Italians enforced strict selection for the army personnel trained by their Alpine regiments in 2013 and the Turks quickly sent home a significant portion of their Libyan police training recruits, the British army had a disastrous experience.

Though there had been a careful choice of suitable candidates for six months’ basic training in the UK, according to a senior army officer, at the last minute the 300-strong draft was filled with un-vetted individuals.

An early breakdown in discipline saw a small batch sent home before the entire contingent was repatriated following a rape in the local town, for which two of the men were subsequently jailed.

It is unclear why the PC has not yet produced the personnel it wants trained. During Ali Zeidan’s premiership, the EUBAM mission had a programme organised for frontier security and border guards.  The courses never began because the then-government failed to put forward candidates.

In 2013 EUBAM did however provide a week’s training for the coast guard in and around Tripoli harbour.

Tags: coast guardDelayEUEUBAMfeaturedLibyaOperation SophiaSerrajtraining

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Food authority wants ban on Egyptian imports

Serraj in Paris for talks with Hollande

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.