No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sirte’s Ouagadougou Centre and Ibn Sina Hospital reported liberated by Bunyan Marsous troops but Libyan air force jet lost; Serraj says no foreign ground forces needed

byMichel Cousins
August 10, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Sirte’s Ouagadougou Centre and Ibn Sina Hospital reported liberated by Bunyan Marsous troops but Libyan air force jet lost; Serraj says no foreign ground forces needed

Banyan Marsous forces loyal to the Presidency Council celebrate after caoturing the University of Sirte (Photo: Bunyan Marsous)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Banyan Marsous forces loyal to the Presidency Council celebrate after caoturing the University of Sirte (Photo: Bunyan Marsous)
Bunyan Marsous forces loyal to the Presidency Council celebrate after caoturing the University of Sirte (Photo: Bunyan Marsous)

Tripoli, 10 August 2016:

The Bunyan Marsous Operations Room says it has taken control of the key Ouagadougou Centre in Sirte, used by the so-called Islamic State (IS) as its headquarters, as well the town’s Ibn Sina Hospital and the university.

The university was the first to be liberated today.

The operations room has also disclosed that a Libyan fighter plane was lost during the day’s offensive. It is not known if it was shot down or crashed because of technical problems. IS, however, have claimed to have brought it down.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Export Development Authority calls for Gulf of Sirte to be assigned as an international nature reserve

NDA’s 350-hectare Sirte Agricultural Project No. 87 reaches 80% completion – supporting food security and reducing dependence on imports

The pilot is reported to have been killed.

It is the second aircraft to be lost over Sirte in the past two months. A MiG was lost on 2 June. At the time IS claimed it had shot it down but Bunyan Marsous counterclaimed it had suffered a technical failure.

Today’s battles come after the US Africa Command (Africom) announced that on Monday it carried out another eight airstrikes on several IS positions in Sirte, bringing the total at that point since the beginning of the month to 28. Further strikes, though, are reported to have been carried out yesterday and today, although there has been no official announcement so far.

Meanwhile, Faiez Serraj, the head of the Presidency Council, has predicted that the battle against IS in Sirte would be over within a few weeks.

“Our soldiers had been highly successful in recent times against the men of the Caliphate”, he said in an interview with the Italian daily Corriere della Sera.

For that reason, he insisted, Libya did not need foreign ground forces in the fight against IS. However, it did need air support because of IS tactics. That was why he invited the Americans to help, he said. But the request for the US help, he noted, had come direct from those fighting IS in Sirte.

Libya also needed more sophisticated weapons for the street battles being waged by IS, he explained.

As to Italy, he thanked it for having allowed the Americans to use Sigonella airbase in Sicily to attack IS but Libya did not need any military support from the Italians. What it did need, he said, was that Italy treat Libya’s war-wounded.

“Medical aid and visas for the transfer of our wounded in your area should be faster,” he told the interviewer, adding that some field hospitals “would be very useful to quickly treat our seriously injured on the front lines”.

Tags: featuredLibyaSirte

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Western allies call for Zueitina terminal to be handed over to NOC

Gun registration launched in Marj and Tobruk

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.