No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Serraj in Sirte as IS retreats to final refuge

byNigel Ash
September 1, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Serraj in Sirte as IS retreats to final refuge

Presidency Council head Serraj poses with BM commanders in Sirte (Photo: GNA)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Presidency Council head Serraj poses with BM commanders in Sirte (Photo: GNA)
Presidency Council head Faiez Serraj poses with Bunyan Marsous  commanders in Sirte (Photo: GNA)

Tripoli, 31 August 2016:

Even as Bunyan Marsous forces battled the remnants of IS in Sirte, Faeiz Serraj, head of the Presidency Council flew into the town and visited the Ougadougou Centre, once the terrorists’ headquarters.

Serraj, along with other PC members, including his deputy Ahmed Maetig, from Misrata, spoke to senior commanders. In the past there has been resentment among BM fighters at what they considered to be the limited support in money and materiel that had been sent to them from Tripoli by Serraj’s government. If there were any recriminations today, they were not in evidence later as a smiling Serraj and his colleagues posed with fighters for photographers.

He had said that the BM forces had proved to the world that the terror menace could be eradicated by Libyan efforts. The fighters had not just been defending their country, they had been defending the world. Serraj said that the men should be proud of themselves. He added that the battle against IS was a symbol of national unity and a national project involving everyone. He blessed the dead and prayed that the wounded would have a speedy recovery.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Export Development Authority calls for Gulf of Sirte to be assigned as an international nature reserve

NDA’s 350-hectare Sirte Agricultural Project No. 87 reaches 80% completion – supporting food security and reducing dependence on imports

The PC head had arrived at the Ghadabiya air base to the south of the town, which doubles as the civilian airport. Despite the potential risks of moving around while the battle for the last parts of Sirte continued, security surround Serraj and his colleagues was low and unobtrusive.

The IS terrorists have now been pushed back to their very last position which is in Sirte’s Third District. One attempted car bombing using a vehicle with steel plate welded in front of it was stopped when anti-aircraft rounds penetrated the shield. The driver lay dead in the cab while BM forces unloaded the pickup truck’s cargo of shells and mortars.

Footage has been published of another car bomb detonated hundreds of metres before it reached BM lines. The undated sequence shows a BM vehicle racing down the road while fighters look about a kilometre up the road behind it, where seconds later, there is a huge explosion. It is unclear if the suicide bomber was hit by ground fire or an air launched weapon.

Though there is an eagerness to finish off a four-month fight that has cost more than 400 largely Misratan dead and 2,500 wounded there is a reluctance to take more casualties in what is clearly the final stage of a now uneven battle. The assumption is that IS is running out of ammunition and becoming militarily weaker. Yet Sunday’s suicide car bombing in which 35 were killed and dozens injured demonstrated the danger of a desperate enemy that has little inclination to surrender.

Tags: BMfeaturedISLibyaSerrajSirteterrorist

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Serraj appoints presidential guard commanders

Serraj appoints presidential guard commanders

Italian-Libya Chamber of Commerce to hold workshop on current problems and opportunities in Libya

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Minister of Industry and Minerals discusses with Chinese companies prospects for industrial and investment cooperation

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.