No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Boycotting Presidency Council member Omar Al-Aswad to rejoin

byMichel Cousins
August 26, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Houda Mzioudet and Moutaz Mathi.

Presidency Council member Omar Aswad welcomed conciliatory statements by Ageela Salah and Martin Kobler.
Presidency Council (file photo)

Tunis/Tripoli, 26 August  2016:

Omar Al-Aswad, one of the two boycotting members of the Presidency Council (PC), says he is ready to rejoin and take part in choosing a new government. This, he said at a press conference at the Palace Hotel in the Tunis suburb of Gammarth yesterday, would have to be done “in a consensual, positive and constructive spirit”.

The move follows the rejection earlier this week by the House of Representatives of the current Government of National Accord in Tripoli and its demand that the Presidency Council submit a new cabinet within ten days. After the vote, HoR President Ageela Saleh called on Aswad, from Zintan, and the other boycotting PC member, Ali Garani from Cyrenaica, to rejoin the PC. So too did UN Special Envoy Martin Kobler. Two weeks ago, the head of the PC, Faiez Serraj gave both men a week to rejoin, otherwise he said he was ask the Libya Dialogue team to replace them.

Both have boycotted the PC for most of the year.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

In his statement yesterday, Aswad said that the proposed government would have to be formed “according to the determined conditions”. He also called on Gatrani to rejoin the PC and participate in the formation of the new government.

Efforts to unite the various different Libyan viewpoints needed to be intensified with the help of the international community, he said, appealing to the Presidential Council members “to avoid dividing state institutions along regional lines”.

With the continuing deteriorating economic and security situation in the country, the “deep economic haemorrhage” as exemplified in the fuel smuggling, foodstuffs, fake funds and illegal trading, Libya was on the verge of bankruptcy that threatened its very existence, Aswad warned. Time was against the PC and HoR in light of the divisions of the main financial and administrative institutions.

He also stressed the necessity of unity and sense of responsibility and integrity to run the institutions that constitute the backbone of the nation’s stability.

The new government’s members had to be selected on the “sound bases” of professionalism and integrity in order for it to obtain the approval of the HoR, he added. He deplored past mistakes during the formation of the first and second government in the last seven months, claiming there had been nepotism.

“The eyes of the world and people in Libya had looked at the PC in December 2015. It had the was responsibility to produce a Government of National Accord (GNA) that could  lead the country to peace and bring stability to people. This unfortunately didn’t happen, instead there was a massive struggle over posts and offices among members based on their regional backgrounds,” he said.

All parties had to make concessions if there were to be a peaceful solution to the Libyan crisis, he said.

Tags: featuredLibyaOmar Al-Aswad

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Khoms summer festival starts; Hun festival planned for October

Khoms summer festival starts; Hun festival planned for October

Libyan UN ambassador Dabbashi finally replaced

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.