No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

6,908 migrants in 54 boats rescued Monday in 35 rescue operations off Libyan coast

bySami Zaptia
August 30, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
6,908 migrants in 54 boats rescued Monday in 35 rescue operations off Libyan coast

Migrants off Libya (File Photo: MSF)

By Sami Zaptia.

Nearly 7,000 migrants were rescued off the Libyan coast on Monday (Photo: MSF)
Nearly 7,000 migrants were rescued off the Libyan coast on Monday (Photo: MSF)

London, 30 August 2016:

Nearly 7,000 migrants in 35 rescue operations were rescued 13 miles north of the Libyan coastal town of Sabratha late on Monday afternoon, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) reported day.

Another 1,119 were rescued in the Channel of Sicily since Friday, IOM Rome spokesperson Flavio Di Giacomo said. “Authorities reported that two people died. Reason of death still unknown.”, he had added

UNSMIL’s Martin Kobler tweeted: ‘‘I applaud the rescue operation saving thousands off the Libyan coast’’. But he went on to condemn the trafficking and urged the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) to make fighting human trafficking as one of its main goals. ‘‘Human trafficking is a crime and must stop. It is an important goal for the GNA’’.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s National Programme for the Deportation of Illegal Immigrants: thousands repatriated with aim to repatriate 60,000 per month

Over 3 million migrant workers in Libya do not pay taxes or fair share – this is draining hard currency and lowering standard of living of Libyans

The IOM reported that the Mediterranean rescue operations were carried out by the following: the  Italian Navy (“Cigala Fulgosi”, “Libeccio”, “Fasan”, “Garibaldi”, “Sfinge”), the Italian Coast Guard: (“Fiorillo”, “CP302”, “Cp303”, “CP324”, “CP320”), the  Irish Navy: (“James Joyce”), the British Navy: (“Enterprise”), the Norwegian Ship (“Siem Pilot”) and the MSF ship “Dignity 1”.

With these rescues IOM Rome estimated that the total number of migrants rescued in 2016 is now around 111,500 on the (Libyan) Central Mediterranean route.

Many of those rescued were sailing in a flotilla of 54 sea crafts, with an estimated 44 rubber dinghies, eight small wooden boats and two bigger wooden fishing boats. It is not known if there were any further casualties among the passengers, although photographs of the rescue did show survivors swimming in the sea, including some wearing life jackets, IOM reported.

Di Giacomo noted that while rescues have been robust during August, casualties on the Central Mediterranean route have been light this past month – just 40 through the current week compared with over 600 dead in both Augusts of the previous two years. He said that sea conditions – abnormally windy – may have kept some boats from leaving North Africa.

IOM Athens reported Monday that migrant and refugee arrivals in Greece in August were 2,808 up to 28 August – the largest monthly number since April.

The sudden surge of migrants crossing from Libya by sea is put to the changing conditions in Libya. Some speculate that it is becoming more difficult for people smugglers to operate openly in Libya. Others put this simply to the sea and weather conditions with the smugglers simply taking advantage of favourable conditions to send off their backlog of waiting migrants.

Today, MSF Sea told me that they too had noted the surge. However, they also felt that Monday’s surge ‘‘came after a period of rough weather when the rubber boats couldn’t launch’’.

Last week the IOM had reported that since the 2011 Libyan revolution, it had voluntarily repatriated a total of 11,000 migrants back to their countries of origin. The most recent Nigerian returnees had been repatriated by air charter flights from Tripoli’s Mitiga airport and had been held in Libyan detention camps.

In today’s latest update, the IOM now report that 272, 070 migrants had entered Europe by sea up to 28 August with 3,165 recorded deaths.

Tags: featuredillegal migrantsIOM International Organizatin for MigrationLibyan Coast GuardMediterranean SeaSabratha

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Peter Millett meets LIA’s new Interim Steering Committee chairman in Tripoli

Peter Millett meets LIA’s new Interim Steering Committee chairman in Tripoli

Mitiga back in action after flights forcibly diverted to Misrata and Afriqiyah airbus sabotaged

Mitiga back in action after flights forcibly diverted to Misrata and Afriqiyah airbus sabotaged

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Kufra airport activates runway and taxiway lighting enabling nighttime flights

Newly created Libyan United Airlines reveals logo – stresses it is a privately owned airline

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.