No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Suq Al-Juma protestors take over Libyana phone HQ, demand mobile service to Misrata be cut

byMichel Cousins
July 12, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Suq Al-Juma protestors take over Libyana phone HQ, demand mobile service to Misrata be cut

Protestors against power cuts blocking Tripoli Corniche with burning tyres (Photo: Social media)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Protestors blocking Tripoli Corniche with burning tyres (Photo: Social media)
Protestors blocking Tripoli Corniche with burning tyres (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli, 12 July 2016:

Armed protestors, mainly from Suq Al-Juma, forced their way into the Libyana and LTT headquarters on Tripoli’s Triq Al-Shatt (“Coast Road”) this morning reportedly demanding that the operators cut the mobile phone and internet service to Misrata. They are angry at the power outages in the capital, now running at up to 15 hours a day.

The continuing lack of cash in the banks is also one of the complaints.

Having stormed the buildings, the protestors forced employees to leave.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

“We suddenly heard lots of angry voices and guns shooting in the air in the car park,” Samira Ghati, a Libyana employee told the Libya Herald. “There were ordinary people from the nearby Souq Al-Jomma, lightly dressed but with Kalashnikovs in their hands,” she explained.

Everybody had evacuated the place, she said. “We don’t know if it’s going to be possible to be able to go for work tomorrow,” she added.

The protestors, who blocked the road outside with burning tyres and rocks, are reported to have demanded that Libyan and LTT block mobile and internet services to Misrata, blaming it for the lengthy outages in Tripoli. They claim that Misratan forces had forced electricity producer GECOL to ensure the supply to Misrata at the expense of the capital.

In fact, there are power outages in Misrata, but not as long as in Tripoli.

It is further reported that the demonstrators also forced their way into the nearby Bu Setta naval base. However, if they were intending to take their protest direct to the Presidency Council and the government of National Accord, they were a day late. Faiez Serraj moved into the prime ministry building on Triq Al-Sikka (Railway Road) yesterday.

There has been no attempt to take over the other main mobile phone service supplier, Al-Madar, so far.

Tags: LibyaTripoli

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Koni says central region oil production could restart "within days"

Kobler sees Gatrani in Cairo

Kobler sees Gatrani in Cairo

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.