No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Koni says central region oil production could restart “within days”

byMichel Cousins
July 12, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tripoli, 12 July 2016:

The internationally-recognised Presidency Council (PC) and its Government of National Accord (GNA) say the central region oil fields could restart production “within days” if negotiations with Ibrahim Jadhran are successful.

The negotiations are said to include the reopening of the Ras Lanuf and Sidra oil  terminals.

The prediction was made by PC member Musa Koni at a press conference yesterday at the prime ministry offices on Tripoli’s Triq Al-Sikka (Railway Road) shortly after PC head and acting prime minister Faiez Serraj formally took over the building.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Claiming the move heralded the GNA starting to work, Koni said that if the talks were successful, force majeure would be lifted. He warned, though, that production would not be that same as before, but did not say why.

However, oil industry officials report that production capacity at the some of the fields has suffered because of lack of maintenance as well as damage from fighting. One estimate is that 200,000 b/d has been wiped off central region production as a result of one or the other.

In his statement, Koni did not mention Jedhran by name, speaking instead of the Petroleum Facilities Guards (PFG). However, as head of the region’s PFG, Jedhran makes all its decisions.

He supports the GNA but it is unclear how firm that support is, or will remain. There are suggestions, however, that he also has links with the Benghazi Defence Brigades, which are opposed by the GNA. Their main target is Khalifa Hafter, who is also Jedhran’s principal opponent.

It is thought that any deal about reopening the oilfields will involve large sums of money.

Meanwhile, although the east and west branches of the NOC are supposedly uniting their operations, it is not clear how any attempt to restart production in the central region oilfields – in effect those in the Sirte basin – will be received by Hafter.

Any blatant attempt by him and the Libyan National Army to stop this happening would almost certainly lead to accusations that he was trying to sabotage the Libyan oil industry, with sanctions as a serious possibility.

Tags: LibyaSirte Basin

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Kobler sees Gatrani in Cairo

Kobler sees Gatrani in Cairo

Benghazi police chief replaced

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.