No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

A deadly journey for the sake of life; a Sabratha father risks all for his daughter

byMichel Cousins
July 5, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
A deadly journey for the sake of life; a Sabratha father risks all for his daughter

Abdulahakim and Sajida in their boat .picture took by his friends

By Moutaz Ali.

Abdulahakim and Sajida in their boat .picture took by his friends
Abdulahakim and Sajida in their boat (Photo by his friends)

Tripoli, 5 July 2016:

Not all those setting out on the perilous journey across the Mediterranean from Libya are sub-Saharan Africans or refugees from Syria or elsewhere. Increasingly among them are Tunisians and Libyans for whom all safer routes to Europe are blocked by a clampdown on visas. Just last week, some 14 Tunisians from the border town of Ben Guerdane were drowned when the boat they had taken from Sabratha capsised.

Among the growing number of Libyans prepared to make the perilous journey was Abdulhakim Shaibi. He too sailed from Sabratha, desperate to get his seriously-ill six-year old daughter Sadija to Europe. The treatment she needs is unavailable to her in Libya. Suffering from a rare blood disorder, she requires a bone-marrow transplant.

“We spent two years in Turkey seeking medical treatment and there were three operations on which I spent all my savings. But they all failed,” Abdulhakim told the Libya Herald.

RELATED POSTS

IOM identifies 894,890 migrants in Libya from 45 nationalities in May-July 2025 reporting period – 18 percent up on 2024

Is the U.S. sending migrants to Libya? ‘‘I don’t know, you will have to ask Homeland Security’’: Trump

He was advised by doctors that Germany his daughter needed to go to Germany where treatment for her condition was available.

“I applied several times for a Schengen visa but all my applications were refused. I think they were afraid that I wouldn’t be able to afford the huge costs of such treatment,” he said.

Desperate to save Sadija, he decided that the only option was to sail to Italy. He knew it was risky but says he had no alternative.

“I thought that a quick death by drowning might be less painful than seeing my daughter dying slowly in front of my eyes,” he explained.

Having discussed the matter with some of his fishermen friends, Abdulhakim decided a week ago to sail to Europe from Sabratha, his home town. He did so alone with Sajida in a tiny rubber boat although accompanied by two of the friends in their own boats. They stayed with him for more 33 hours until they were discovered by a Italian coastguard vessel which took them to Sicily. Once the ship was spotted, the two friends turned round and sailed back to Sabratha.

Sadija is now in hospital in Sicily and according to her father is being well looked after. However, he has denied rumours that his daughter was about to be operated on.

“It still too early for this because the operation requires certain complicated procedures, not to mention finding a donor,” he said.

To reassure his family and friends, Abdulhakim took a video of Sajida three days ago in the hospital. Telling her that everybody cared about her, she replied she just wanted to go home as soon as possible.

While they were in their boat in the vast empty expanse of the sea, Abdulhakim and Sajida were also videoed by his two friends. Sajida is seen wearing a fisherman plastic white overall to protect her and being looked after by her father.

The video has been circulated widely on social media and prompted many artists to redraw the scene from different angles.

Libyans have not, until now, dared take the risk of crossing the Mediterranean in an open boat. Nor did they need to. But as the Libya crisis continues – and shows no sign of ending – that is changing. Libyans too are now joining the ranks of boat people desperate to get to Europe, no matter how perilous the journey.

Sajida in her bed in Sicily
Sajida in hospital in Sicily (Photo: Abdulhakim Shaibi)

 

Tags: featuredLibyamigrantsSabratha

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Kobler's hopeful Eid message

Moamalat POS processing centre to float 30 percent, 2,000 new machines ordered

Moamalat POS processing centre to float 30 percent, 2,000 new machines ordered

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.