No Result
View All Result
Monday, December 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya’s rival central banks team up for national recovery

byNigel Ash
June 6, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libya’s rival central banks team up for national recovery

A crowd outside Tripoli bank today (Photo: social media)

By Moutaz Ali.

A crowd outside Tripoli bank today (Photo: social media)
A crowd outside Tripoli bank today (Photo: social media)

Tripoli, 5 June 2016:

The governors of Libya’s rival Central Banks agreed last night to work together as a team . . .[restrict]to design a “unity plan” for the whole economy.

Boss of the Beida-based CBL Ali Hebri and Tripoli CBL’s Saddek Elkaber met in Tunis along with unnamed members of the House of Representatives’ Finance Committee. A source close to the encounter told this newspaper said the participants described it as a CBL board meeting.

Both governors confirmed that their banks would accept all imported currency for either side. It has been reported elsewhere that LD 50 million of the new “Russian” Libyan dinars is being sent immediately from Beida to Tripoli.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan and Tunisian Ministers of Economy discuss strengthening cooperation, implementing Joint Committee recommendations

Libyan Industry Union signs MoU with Maghreb Bank for Investment and Foreign Trade BMICE to expand financing opportunities for Libyan industry

Frustrated crowds gathered outside banks in the capital today seeking to withdraw cash on the eve of Ramadan.  It would appear that last Tuesday’s arrival of LD 112.5 million of bank notes, printed in the UK by De La Rue for the Tripoli CBL,  has not had a sufficient impact on the cash shortage.

Last night in Tunis, both CBLs also agreed not to attack each other in the media. They said that they were working together as of their meeting.

It is unclear if Hebri’s initiative along with members of the HoR’s finance committee was endorsed by the parliament in Tobruk and backed by the government of prime minister Abdullah Thinni. There has been no reaction yet to the news from the Tunis meeting.

Elkaber was sacked by the HoR in September 2014 after he refused to go to Tobruk to speak to the parliament. He replaced on a temporary basis by Hebri who was then his deputy.

After initially agreeing to step down while his sacking was reviewed, Elkaber decided that his ouster was unconstitutional and that he should serve out his five-year term of office which ends next year.

As the internationally-recognised parliament, the HoR felt that it had the power to fire Elkaber. However since all the main offices and officials were in Tripoli and the Benghazi branch of the CBL was shot to pieces in the early stages of last year’s Operation Dignity, the Tripoli CBL remained the de facto central bank. Hebri’s CBL in overcrowded Beida has never had access to the majority of the bank’s levers.

  [/restrict]

Tags: CBLElkaberfeaturedHebriLibyaTunisunity

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Misratan commander killed as IS camp overrun

Misratan commander killed as IS camp overrun

Italy wants to help Libyan carriers back into EU airspace

Italy wants to help Libyan carriers back into EU airspace

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • LBBC concludes productive Benghazi visit strengthening UK-Libya business collaboration

    Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.