No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ageela Salah calls for HoR meeting for next Monday

bySami Zaptia
June 15, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Ageela Saleh (Photo: HoR)
Ageela Saleh (Photo: Archives / HoR)

London, 9 June 2016:

The president of the House of Representatives (HoR) Ageela Salah has called for a meeting of . . .[restrict]the legislative body for Monday 13th June in Tobruk.

Salah said that the session would be held to vote on Faiez Serraj’s Government of National Accord (GNA) as well as on the constitutional amendment. He also called on all the Presidency Council to be present at the HoR in Tobruk.

Speaking anonymously, an HoR member today confirmed to Libya Herald the news, adding that it’s the 4th time that Salah has called for a session, with this being the first written call for a session.

RELATED POSTS

CBL welcomes signing of Unified Development Agreement between HoR & High State Council: important step towards strengthening financial stability and unifying development efforts

Aldabaiba hits back at opportunist ‘‘warmonger’’ HoR Speaker Saleh

Asked if there would be a quorum of members to hold an official session, the member was doubtful. Moreover, he did not believe that the supporters of the GNA now have the required majority or even the 100 members they previously had. He, therefore, did not think they would turn up for a vote.

Asked why in that case did Salah call for a session, the HoR member said that Salah called for the session in order to disprove accusations that he was responsible for the failure of an HoR vote.

Equally, the HoR member added, so as to expose the fact that the GNA supporters did not have the required support to pass a vote on the GNA and that they were hiding behind the fig leaf of Salah acting as the ‘’spoiler’’.

It will be recalled that Salah currently faces EU sanctions based on the accusation that he is acting as the ‘’spoiler’’ of the LPA and an HoR vote on the GNA.

Equally, UNSMIL head Martin Kobler on his 6th June Libya briefing to the UN Security Council exerted continued pressure on Salah and the HoR by again calling for a vote on the GNA.

A constitutional amendment by the HoR is needed in order to make the LPA legal and part of the Transitional Constitutional Agreement (TCD) of August 2011. The HoR was elected under the auspices of the TCD in the form of an amendment by the February committee of the General National Congress (GNC).

During the Libyan revolution of 2011 the unelected political leaders of that revolution – the National Transitional Council (NTC) – who had received international recognition, had announced the TCD as a political road map and social contract with the Libyan people. The TCD laid out a timeline for elections for interim/transitional legislatures as well as full democratic elections and the drafting of a Libyan constitution.

Libya has held two elections for two interim legislatures, the GNC in 2012 and the HoR in 2014. However, both have failed to reach a stage of voting on a draft constitution and thereafter elections for a fully empowered legislature, as prescribed in the TCD. [/restrict]

Tags: Ageela SalahEU sanctionsfeaturedHoR House of RepresentativesPC/GNA Presidency Council Government of National AccordTCD Transitional Constitutional DeclarationUN SRSR UNSMIL head Martin Kobler

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Nearly 1,000 illegal migrants departing from Libya recovered at sea yesterday

Nearly 1,000 illegal migrants departing from Libya recovered at sea yesterday

Libyan air carriers resume flights to Tunis-Carthage

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.