No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Departing Derna IS bombed by LPA with “many dead”, claims LNA spokesman

byMichel Cousins
April 22, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Departing Derna IS bombed by LPA with “many dead”, claims LNA spokesman

Daesh vehicle

By Maha Sulaiman.

Daesh vehicle
IS vehicle purportedly destroyed while fleeing Derna (Photo: Social media)

Benghazi, 21 April 2016:

The spokesman from the Libyan National Army (LNA) chief of staff, Colonel Ahmed Mismari, says that LNA . . .[restrict]planes hit the convoy of Islamic State vehicles as it retreated from Derna yesterday and had killed “many” IS fighters.

The attack supposedly happened after the IS convoy, put at 32 vehicles, had arrived at Al-Mekhili, some 100 kilometres south west of Derna. There, he said, IS had found the petrol station closed and, desperate for fuel, had started shooting at it. They then continued further south. At this point, however, LNA aircraft were mobilised and bombed the vehicles.

Mismari did not say how many had been hit or how many casualties there had been other than “many”.

RELATED POSTS

Eastern Libyan government engages Turkish company to assess safety of dams

Libya’s Derna flood response cost lives – independent investigation needed: HRW

Following the IS pullout, the commander of the LNA’s 102 Brigade, Colonel Idris Eljali, was now in charge of Derna’s Fatiaeh area and District 400, Mismari added.

Asked whether the LNA was now going to try and take over the whole town, he said that Derna was not an immediate strategic objective. The objective now was Sirte.

However, there were negotiations by mediators with the Derna Revolutionaries Shoura Council (DRSC), he disclosed. It was being given a deadline by the army to hand over the town. He did not, however, disclose when the deadline was.

The DRSC is dominated by the local Abu Sleem Martyrs Brigade. This, Mismari claimed, was divided over dealing with the army. One part, he said, was totally opposed to the LNA. It regarded the army as “kuffar” (infidels). It and IS were, he stated, two sides of the same coin.

However, others in the brigade were more amenable, he said. They wanted to work with the army, but they were still extremists and were making demands about the army – for example, that it must contain no one deemed to be a Qaddafist.

Such demands were unacceptable, he said.

For his part, Abdulkarim Sabra, spokesman for the LNA’s Omar Mukhtar Operations Room which covers Derna and the surrounding region, is reported to have said that LNA aircraft had attacked DRSC positions at the town’s prison and its Sayida Khadija district on Wednesday evening. [/restrict]

Tags: DernaIslamic StateLibya

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Kobler calls for protection for Benghazi civilians

World Bank optimistic Libya report based on stability and increased oil production

World Bank optimistic Libya report based on stability and increased oil production

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.