No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Audit Bureau 2015 report paints grim picture of Libyan economy

bySami Zaptia
April 22, 2016
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
Audit Bureau 2015 report paints grim picture of Libyan economy

The Tripoli-based Audit Bureau Annual 2015 report says that legal cases against the Libyan state rose dramatically in 2015.

By Sami Zaptia.

The Tripoli-based Audit Bureau Annual 2015 report makes for grim reading on the situation in Libya.
The Tripoli-based Audit Bureau Annual 2015 report makes for grim reading on the situation in Libya.

London, 22 April 2016:

The Tripoli-based Libyan Audit Bureau painted a very grim picture of the status of the Libyan . . .[restrict]economy in its 565 page 2015 Annual Report released last week.

It reported that Libya’s state revenues from 2012 to 2015 totalled LD 158 bn but the Central Bank of Libya (CBL) had made available a total of LD 200 bn, leaving a LD 42 bn deficit which the CBL made up from its reserves. In reality it says only LD 194 were spent leaving LD 6 bn sitting in state accounts for this period.

In 2015 alone, the Audit Bureau says, the state’s total revenues only totalled LD 11 bn wheras its spending was LD 36 bn leaving a deficit of LD 25 bn.

RELATED POSTS

CBL welcomes signing of Unified Development Agreement between HoR & High State Council: important step towards strengthening financial stability and unifying development efforts

Rethinking the Central Bank’s Policy: Why Weekly Dollar Auctions Are the Key to Defeating Speculators – Husni Bey

 

136-Audit Bureau report-1-210416
The graph clearly shows the gap between the Libyan state’s revenues totalling only LD 11 bn and its spending totalling LD 36 bn in 2015 leaving a deficit of LD 25 bn (Photo: Audit Bureau).

 

This large deficit was covered through LD 19 bn of CBL reserves and LD 5 bn from unused money sitting in state accounts. The Audit Bureau says Libya still suffered this huge deficit in 2015 despite a large reduction of 18% in state spending in 2014

 

136-Audit Bureau report-5-210416
Graph showing how state spending on salaries (blue), subsidies (red), general expenses (green) and development have all come down (Photo: Audit Bureau).

 

 

The Audit Bureau figures show that the Libyan authorities have made large reductions in the various spending sections to reflect the fall in the state’s revenues.

The largest state spending in the budget is state-sector salaries (blue). These had started at just over LD 15 bn in 2012 and quickly shot up to around LD 25 in 2013. However, the authorities have been able to force these down to around LD 24 bn in 2014 and down to LD 20 bn in 2015.

Expenditure on subsidies (red) zig zagged since 2012 peaking in 2014 before falling under LD 10 bn in 2015. Both the running and general expenses (green) of state institutions and development and projects (purple) spending sections of the budget have been squeezed to under LD 5bn in 2015 from peaks of over LD 10 bn in 2012.

Nevertheless, the salaries and subsidies sections of the Libyan state budget still represented 66 percent of spending between 2012 and 2015 while development and projects only received 13 percent of budgets during this period. Public debt represents 3 percent of total spending.

 

136-Audit Bureau report-6-cbl reserves-210416
CBL hard currency reserves are down dramatically from LD 115 bn in 2012 to LD 54 bn in 2015 (Photo: Audit Bureau).

 

 

The Central Bank of Libya US dollar reserves that have been financing Libya’s budget deficits since 2012 have been depleting at an alarming pace the Audit Bureau says. From LD equivalent of 115 bn in 2012 they decreased to LD 106 bn in 2013, to LD 77in 2014 and to LD equivalent of 54 bn at the end of 2015.

This equates to a decrease of 54 percent of CBL foreign currency reserves since 2012 a rate of depletion that will lead to the exhaustion of the state’s reserves in a short period if it is to continue at the same rate, the Audit Bureau warned.

The Audit Bureau pointed out that spending at these rates by the Libyan state require large amounts of foreign currency to cover the cost of the importation of goods and products. Libya is a net importer of almost everything except for crude hydrocarbons.

The report says that the state will soon no longer be able to meet the demand for hard currency to meet these imports if hydrocarbon production/exports remain at present low levels and international crude oil prices at present low levels.

This, it adds, is especially so since Libya has no diversified economy and no alternative revenues to hydrocarbons.

The Audit Bureau further said that if state expenditure, and the salaries and subsidies sections especially, are not reduced in view of reduced revenues, the state economy will continue to be handicapped preventing any reforms in public policy to enable the balancing of the economy and prevention of economic disasters.

 

2013 2014 2015
CBL deposits 106 77 54
Reserves 17 17 17
LIA deposits in CBL 23 23 23
Total 146 117 94

CBL reserves at 31/12/2015 – source Audit Bureau 2015 Annual report

 

The Audit Bureau reported that the CBL reserves are made up of CBL deposits, set-aside reserves and LIA deposits at the Central bank. It noted that most of the investments of the Libyan Investment Authority (LIA) are still frozen by virtue of the UNSC resolution.

It warned that if the CBL is unable to make use of its reserves, it will be forced to devalue the Libyan dinar which will lead to a fall in the living standards of a wide section of the Libyan population.

 

Lost oil revenues

Lost oil revenues between August 2013 and 31 December 2015 amounted to about US$ 70 bn (LD 98bn) the Audit Bureau reported.

Oil production fell to 146 million barrels per year, down from 531 million barrels per year which represents a decrease of 73 percent. The loss in production of 385 million barrels represents a loss of US$20 bn to the Libyan state.

 

136-Audit Bureau report-2-210416
Accumulated losses as a result of closures of Libyan oilfields from 2012 to end 2015 totalling LD 98 bn (Photo: Audit Bureau).

 

The Audit Bureau says that Libya’s oil production and export has declined dangerously during the three-year period 2012-2015 leading to the most acute economic crises faced by the state as production levels fell from 530 million barrels in 2012 down to 146 million barrels in 2015.

 

136-Audit Bureau report-3-210416
Libya’s oil production fell from 530 million barrels / year in 2012 to 146 million barrels / year in 2015 (Photo: Audit Bureau).

 

The Audit Bureau reported that thanks to the enforcement of the National ID Number as a prerequisite to the payment of any state-sector salaries, the state has succeeded in reducing the number of duplicate state employees withdrawing multiple salaries from over 2.13 million in 2013, to 1.96 in 2014, to 1.68 in 2015 and expects this figure to fall to 1.49 in 2016. This it says has reduced the state salary bill from LD 25.5 bn in 2013 to LD 18 bn in 2016.

In 2015 the Audit Bureau reported that there were over 398,000 duplicate employees which were reduced to 235,000 in March 2016 and down to just 125,000 at the time of the publication of the report. [/restrict]

Tags: AB Audit BureauCBL Central Bank of Libyadeficitfeaturedhard currencyLIANational ID Numberoilreservesstate sector salaries

Related Posts

LAIP delegation visits Maputo, Mozambique to recover seized rice project
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio holds coordination meeting with Nigerian embassy on Transit Corridors Project

November 28, 2025
Libyan Export Promotion Centre changes to become Libyan Export Development Authority – new logo adopted
Business

Libyan Export Development Authority to launch subsidised direct shipping service to Sub-Saharan African ports

November 28, 2025
LBBC concludes productive Benghazi visit strengthening UK-Libya business collaboration
Business

Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

November 28, 2025
Toyota Libya starts training 8 youth as part of its regular “Discover Your Talent” training programme
Business

Toyota Libya signs MoU with Ministry of Labour and Rehabilitation to strengthen cooperation in training and skills development

November 27, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

November 27, 2025
LBC leading delegation to Miami for America’s Food and Beverage Show – 18 to 20 September
Business

Libyan Business Council hosts Italian Consul and Commercial Attaché to discuss Italy’s Residency and Investment Programmes

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Army chief’s son dies in Labraq helicopter crash

Army chief's son dies in Labraq helicopter crash

Sewehli takes control of GNC headquarters

Sewehli takes control of GNC headquarters

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.