No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UN report accuses CBL of bias and of supporting militias and terrorists

bySami Zaptia
March 16, 2016
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

The CBL has approved LCs for the import of flour for subsidised bread (File photo).
A UN report accuses the Tripoli CBL of political bias and funding terrorist groups (File photo).

London, 16 March 2016:

A UN report has accused the Tripoli-based CBL of supporting militias and terrorists and of being . . .[restrict]‘’lenient towards the National Salvation Government’’.

The claim came in the 215-page final report of the UN Panel of Experts on Libya to the President of the Security Council released early this week.

On supporting terrorists, the report said: ‘‘The Panel has obtained copies of two Central Bank cheques, made out for a total of 6 million Libyan dinars, apparently to the Benghazi Revolutionaries Shura Council (see annex 40 for photo copy). If genuine, it means that the Tripoli-based Ministry of Defence provided Bank funds to the United Nations-listed Ansar al Sharia Benghazi, part of the Benghazi Revolutionaries Shura Council’’.

RELATED POSTS

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

The report continued: ‘‘Bank employees based outside Tripoli explained that, while they could not verify the transaction, the cheques appeared genuine. The management of the Bank in Tripoli has not replied to repeated requests for clarification by the Panel’’ (Italics by Libya Herald).

‘‘The Panel is investigating the allegation that the General National Congress provided the strongest anti-Libyan Political Agreement faction in Tripoli, the Sumud Front, with $103 million from an emergency fund. A publicized example of suspicious budgeting reveals the risk of diversion of State funds, potentially also to armed groups. The Oil Minister of the National Salvation Government publicly accused his Prime Minister of having received 1 billion Libyan dinars in extrabudgetary funds from the Central Bank, now unaccounted for’’.

‘‘The Panel hopes that more information will become available once the Government of National Accord has been established in Tripoli. In the light of the foregoing, the Panel asked the management of the Central Bank for access to the 2014-2015 statements of nine accounts of the Ministry of Defence’’.

On the issue of salaries to militias/terrorists (paragraph 195), the report said: ‘’As previously reported (see S/2015/128, para. 190), government salaries are continuing to be paid to enlisted combatants, regardless of their current unit or human rights record’’.

‘‘The management of the Central Bank in Tripoli explained that all salaries for the staff of the Ministry of Defence and the Ministry of the Interior were continuing to be paid on the basis of (unchanged) pre-July 2014 lists, directly into personal bank accounts’’.

‘’That the payments have not been vetted or monitored poses a serious problem. Units and combatants that were previously (nominally) operating under the authority of Libyan ministries are now dispersed among warring sides and factions. It is beyond doubt that the State is currently paying the salaries of at least some combatants of United Nations-listed terrorist organizations and armed group members involved in the most serious human rights abuse’’.

The report recommended ‘‘the Government of Libya or the future Government of National Accord to implement a vetting process when reforming and recruiting its armed and security forces, including for appointments to senior positions’’ and ‘‘ensure that flows of government funds to human rights violators or members of terrorist groups are prevented’’.

It also recommended that ‘’to contribute to ending the current climate of impunity in Libya by proposing those committing serious violations of human rights and international humanitarian law for designation under the Libya sanctions regime’’.

On the CBL’s persistent claim that it acts neutrally as a technical institution serving all of Libya equally, the report said that the CBL claimed that ‘’funding of government spending was dealt with “exclusively at a technical level” with the ministries in Tripoli’’.

While ‘’on 23 July 2015, representatives of the eastern branch of the Central Bank and Mr. Ali Salim al-Hibri, who also sits on the IMF Board of Governors, told the Panel that their activities were limited to the distribution of cash’’.

‘‘They claimed that they had been effectively cut off from Tripoli, including any possibility of monitoring payments and policies. They showed documents indicating that insufficient quantities of Libyan dinars, and no hard currency, had been provided to them by Tripoli. Representatives of eastern branches of commercial banks claimed to have great difficulties in financing trade, rarely receiving approval from Tripoli to establish letters of credit’’.

The report concluded: ‘’The Panel assesses that the policies of the Central Bank indeed reflect its physical proximity to Operation Fajr and the General National Congress. They curtail the means of financing of initiatives affiliated with the interim Government and show a more lenient attitude towards the priorities of Tripoli’’.

‘’The cessation of financing of interim Government-supported embassies, acknowledged by the Bank in Tripoli, is a clear example. Furthermore, the current situation prevents an effective humanitarian response to emergencies, especially to active war zones in the east. Following the above, the eastern-based management of the Central Bank dropped its previous restraint and stepped up its attempts to gain control of the Libyan financial system in the second half of 2015, thereby further undermining the unity of the institution. Action included the opening of a separate account for oil exports (see para. 241) and repeated attempts to take direct deliveries of cash printed in Europe’’.

‘’The Panel interviewed several high-ranking employees of State financial institutions and commercial banks involved in financing the public sector, who explained that they had been personally threatened by various armed groups in 2015 and seen a general increase in political pressure on the banking sector’’.

‘’In the light of the foregoing, the Panel concludes that the current organization of the Libyan financial system is no longer tenable and urgently needs oversight from, and protection by, the Government of National Accord’’

‘’Currently, Central Bank operations from Tripoli cannot be neutral because the capital is not controlled by the Government of National Accord and is infamous for suffering abductions and extortion’’.

On the threat of IS/Daesh in Sirte, it concluded: ‘’the Panel investigated reports of a potential risk of misappropriation of Central Bank funds by ISIL in Sirte, where a backup of the banking system had been installed under Qadhafi. All the Bank employees consulted concurred that the branch had not been operational since 2011 and that the equipment could no longer be used because it had been damaged or become outdated’’.

‘’Consequently, control over Sirte does not give ISIL access to State finances or to the wider SWIFT system. It is, however, likely that the site continues to hold all Libyan historic banking data, which could prove useful to anyone seeking to mask fraudulent transactions’’. [/restrict]

Tags: CBL Central Bank of LibyafeaturedmilitiasterroristsUN

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Vandals attack Tripoli’s historic Mizran Mosque, wreck second mosque on Corniche

Vandals attack Tripoli's historic Mizran Mosque, wreck second mosque on Corniche

Ghwell again refuses to hand over to Serraj, but Tripoli officials dismiss the threat

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.